Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I have a 03 predator. I have been overseas for a while but I am coming home soon and one of my buddies is rebuilding it for me. We are having problems with the electrical system. Problems that I have tried to fix before but evidently I haven't. The problem is that when you start the bike, it runs off of the battery for electrical power. It can not recharge the battery because of how much of a charge it is pulling to run the bike. When the four wheeler was new I constantly replaced the bendix because of the starting issues this four wheeler is known for. As of right now, I figure this could be one or both of 2 things. One-The battery is simply not recharging. Two-Something is not telling the bike to pull from the stator (or whatever it should pull form) on the bike once it has started. Honestly, I am an aircraft mechanic and not a four wheeler mechanic. I am just using logic and I hope I am not thinking too deep or missing something obvious. If anyone is a guru and might have an idea of some parts to through at it...please let me know. I really want to get this rolling before I get home so that I can enjoy the little time I get on American soil. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I am not a certified mechanic so I am just giving you my advice. You have it pretty close to being right.

I would check the output of the stator and make sure it is putting out somewhere close to the number it should be. If you are not putting out enough to keep up with the load of the system then that would drain and kill the battery.

Or it could be the rectifier (think I got that right)...if that goes out it will prevent your bike from charging correctly. I'm not sure how you go about testing that...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. We checked the output of the stater and got 77 volts ac on all three legs. Unplugged the rectifier/regulator and could not get anything coming out in dc. We are going to swap that and the starter solenoid since they are the only two components in that chain. That and it will only be about $60 in parts total. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ended up being the rectifier /regulator. Thanks for the help. Now if I could only find a shock rebuild kit...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts