Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery for my 2004 polaris sportsman 500 HO was recently put in backwards and began smoking when the key was turned. I have switched the battery and put wiring back to make sure it is correct. I then turned the key and found that I still have power to the machine and it does crank. The first time I got a faint burning smell and removed the grill along with plastic cover. I tried it again and it still was cranking no burning smell however I figured id hold off going any further to try to prevent any damage. Any ideas on what may need to be replaced?? Thank you for any and all input as it is greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Somewhere between everything and nothing. Safest bet is to go over the entire wiring harness looking for signs of burned/melted parts. But if everything still functions as it should you may have gotten lucky


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
A relative of mine did that. It toasted the new battery and the ECU on his sportsman.
I hope you have better luck than he did. As said, give it a complete check over.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top