Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery removal and reinstall on a 2014 Polaris Sportsman 570 efi

1. Have all of the tools that you will need. On my machine a 3/8” wrench to remove the bracket screw and a 10mm wrench ( or I guess a Phillips screwdriver ) for the battery terminal screws, a good battery charger (I use a BatteryMinder 12248), a dab of Vaseline, a flashlight, distilled water and a dropper of some kind to fill the battery cells, and finally someone to help get things and position things. My battery is a YB14A-A2, Polaris part # 4140006.
2. Remove the seat and then the side panels, both left and right. The center of the black plugs pull out and then the plastic plug can be removed. There are two on each side panel.
3. I find that I have the most room to work when turning the front wheels maximum to the right.
4. The battery is located in the front of the vehicle just medial to the left front wheel.
5. Unscrew the bracket that holds the battery. Mine needed a 3/8” wrench or socket.
6. Lift the bracket up from the screw side a bit. It will bend a bit and see if you can unlatch it from the right side. It is held in place in a groove on the frame. I completely removed the bracket.
7. Unscrew the ground wire terminal (black closest to the seat). I could not easily see this until the side panels were removed. This can be done with a Phillips or a 10mm socket. Be very careful here as there are nuts inside the battery terminal and you need these to replace the terminals.
8. Pull back the red positive terminal cap and unscrew the terminal same as the ground terminal.
9. Gently lift the battery up, the vent tube should be running to a hole in front of the battery (towards the front of the machine), this is where it goes when you replace it. Remove the battery without tilting it too much. This is assuming that you have a conventional flooded cell battery and not a maintenance free which does not have a vent tube.
10. You can tell the level of the acid by the level indicator on the battery. If you need to add DISTILLED water, unscrew the caps (don’t lose the black washer under each) and add water with a dropper of some kind ( I use a hydrometer to add water). Make sure that the nuts that are in each battery terminal are not lost- these will be hard to replace. I put the caps back on but not tight after adding water and I gently insert the terminal screws so as to not lose the nuts.
11. Charge the battery. Mine measured 13.11 volts with a digital voltmeter when fully charged. Tighten the caps after fully charging. Since there is a vent tube I don’t know if you can tighten these before charging but this is how I do it.
12. You are now ready to reinstall the battery.
13. Take the little nut out of each terminal, put a dab of Vaseline on each and reinstall the terminal screw just one turn to hold everything in place while you place the battery back in. The Vaseline acts as a glue and protection for the terminal.
14. Place the battery back into its spot on the frame, vent tube goes out the hole in the front of the machine and replace the bracket (which requires some maneuvering). Once all is in proper position tighten bracket with 3/8” wrench.
15. Unscrew the red (positive terminal screw) gently so that the little nut doesn’t move around, place the screw through red positive terminal and gently insert the screw into the terminal and gently tighten. Once the threads mesh you have it made. You can tighten with 10mm wrench or Phillips. Don’t over tighten. Replace the red insulation cap over the terminal. Some Vaseline on the terminals won’t hurt.
16. Next replace the black ground wire the same way. I was able to reach this through the left side panel.
17. Replace the side panels.
18. Replace the seat.
19. All should be functional. Reset the clock.
20. As someone else said, the easiest way to do this is to have someone else do it. I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Had my battery unhooked for a couple hrs. manual says when bettery is unhooked the clock will need resetting, my clock did not, Go Figure.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery removal and reinstall on a 2014 Polaris Sportsman 570 efi

1. Have all of the tools that you will need. On my machine a 3/8” wrench to remove the bracket screw and a 10mm wrench ( or I guess a Phillips screwdriver ) for the battery terminal screws, a good battery charger (I use a BatteryMinder 12248), a dab of Vaseline, a flashlight, distilled water and a dropper of some kind to fill the battery cells, and finally someone to help get things and position things. My battery is a YB14A-A2, Polaris part # 4140006.
2. Remove the seat and then the side panels, both left and right. The center of the black plugs pull out and then the plastic plug can be removed. There are two on each side panel.
3. I find that I have the most room to work when turning the front wheels maximum to the right.
4. The battery is located in the front of the vehicle just medial to the left front wheel.
5. Unscrew the bracket that holds the battery. Mine needed a 3/8” wrench or socket.
6. Lift the bracket up from the screw side a bit. It will bend a bit and see if you can unlatch it from the right side. It is held in place in a groove on the frame. I completely removed the bracket.
7. Unscrew the ground wire terminal (black closest to the seat). I could not easily see this until the side panels were removed. This can be done with a Phillips or a 10mm socket. Be very careful here as there are nuts inside the battery terminal and you need these to replace the terminals. If you immediately screw the bolt back in now you will not lose the nuts that are in the battery post.
8. Pull back the red positive terminal cap and unscrew the terminal same as the ground terminal.
9. Gently lift the battery up, the vent tube should be running to a hole in front of the battery (towards the front of the machine), this is where it goes when you replace it. Remove the battery without tilting it too much. This is assuming that you have a conventional flooded cell battery and not a maintenance free which does not have a vent tube.
10. You can tell the level of the acid by the level indicator on the battery. If you need to add DISTILLED water, unscrew the caps (don’t lose the black washer under each) and add water with a dropper of some kind ( I use a hydrometer to add water). Make sure that the nuts that are in each battery terminal are not lost- these will be hard to replace. I put the caps back on but not tight after adding water and I gently insert the terminal screws so as to not lose the nuts.
11. Charge the battery. Mine measured 13.11 volts with a digital voltmeter when fully charged. Tighten the caps after fully charging. Since there is a vent tube I don’t know if you can tighten these before charging but this is how I do it.
12. You are now ready to reinstall the battery.
13. Take the little nut out of each terminal, put a dab of Vaseline on each and reinstall the terminal screw just one turn to hold everything in place while you place the battery back in. The Vaseline acts as a glue and protection for the terminal. Also if you fold a small piece of cardboard and place under nuts they stay put.
14. The bracket must be latched in place on the right side of the machine before placing the battery back in. Place the battery back into its spot on the frame, vent tube goes out the hole in the front of the machine and replace the bracket (which requires some maneuvering). Once all is in proper position tighten bracket with 3/8” wrench.
15. Unscrew the red (positive terminal screw) gently so that the little nut doesn’t move around, place the screw through red positive terminal and gently insert the screw into the terminal and gently tighten. Once the threads mesh you have it made. You can tighten with 10mm wrench or Phillips. Don’t over tighten. Replace the red insulation cap over the terminal. Some Vaseline on the terminals won’t hurt.
16. Next replace the black ground wire the same way. I was able to reach this through the left side panel.
17. Replace the side panels.
18. Replace the seat.
19. All should be functional. Reset the clock.
20. As someone else said, the easiest way to do this is to have someone else do it. I hope this is helpful.
I made some changes to the above. Underlined are changes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Revision again, and now easier.

1. Have all of the tools that you will need. On my machine a 3/8” wrench to remove the bracket screw and a 10mm wrench ( or I guess a #2 short (about 1 1/2" long shank) Phillips screwdriver ) for the battery terminal screws, a #25 torx driver for the water bottle, a good battery charger (I use a BatteryMinder 128CEC1) a flashlight and finally someone to help get things and position things. My battery is a sealed WPX14AH-BS agm battery, comes with nuts and bolts, lasts me typically 3 years if properly kept charged.
2. I no longer remove the seat or side panels. All can be done by moving the wheels right or left.
3. Unscrew the water bottle using t25 screw driver and use a zip tie to suspend it out of the way to something towards the front of the machine and up. This allows you to reach the ground terminal of the battery. Upper left and bottom left pictures.

I position the machine such that the front axle is as shown in the axle picture, it may help removing the battery.

3. Once the water bottle is repositioned, unscrew the black (neg terminal) of the battery and move to the side, a 10mm socket or #2 short phillips works. Your new battery will have bolts and nuts but save these in case you lose one. You do not need longer screws. The longer screws won't have Phillips and 10 mm metric head but if you insist they are labeled M6-1.00X16 and are longer and work but don't have the Phillips head. You really don't need them.

4. Do the same with the red positive terminal and make sure you do it in this order, negative off first then positive.

5. Unscrew the one screw of the bracket, 3/8 inch wrench but do not remove bracket. This was the true pain in the neck. The secret here is to lift the bracket up a little bit and tilt it towards the rear of the machine, over the back side of the battery. You do not have to take the bracket off the right side of the machine. So much easier.

6. Lift the battery towards the front of the machine and take out. Requires some maneuvering but you can do it. Tilt wheels either right or left as needed to get best working position.

7. Prepare new battery. cut a healthy size zip tie about 2" long and bend in half. Put the nut in the battery terminal, jam the folded zip tie in as in my picture and start the bolt to hold all in place. Using this technique your nut will not shift around and make it easy to replace the battery terminals. Place the battery into the machine, positive terminal towards the front.

8. Rotate the battery bracket forward and you can reinsert the screw now and tighten in place or do at the end. Your choice.

9. Start work at the positive terminal first. Very important. Positive terminal first. Place bolt through the terminal and screw into battery positive. It is so much easier with the zip tie holding the nut in place. Make sure you have the red cap installed. On my machine at this time I also installed the red terminal of my battery minder to do a maintenance charge the easy way.

10 Now do the same thing on the negative terminal, always in this order. Obviously you do not want to touch positive and negative at the same time. The order of removal and replacement of terminals is VERY important. Restore the water bottle to it's proper position.You do not need to open the bottle. Use torx 25 driver on screws.

11. Set the clock if it needs it. All done.

12. If you use wet cells then you will need to insert the plastic tube into the drain hole. I can't see why anyone would use the wet cell battery as you can't tell your water level and you must remove the battery to fill it. Not worth it.

I have switched my battery charger to a BatteryMinder model 128CEC1, I Have purchased a splitter BatteryMinder 210AY, BatteryMinder RTA-2415 ring terminals and a Model DCE12 12 foot extension cable so that I can charge both of my machines at the same time. I have added the ring terminals to each battery and zip tied the wiring in place. Makes it very easy to maintain the batteries. I don't own stock in BatteryMinder but I believe they make the best chargers, desulfinators, etc.

I hope this helps everyone and it is much easier than my original post. Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
569 Posts
Do you really feel the need to remove the seat, right and left side panels, and turn the wheels back and forth? I’ve had mine in and out multiple times with ease and never had to do ANY of that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you read my update you will see that I don't remove seat or side panels anymore. But I do find that moving the front wheels left or right gives me better visibility. Of course I am of trifocal age group.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts