Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a thread on Battery Tenders, and hearing about all the problems people have hard wiring the battery tenders due to lack of space around the batteries, or short terminals on the batteries, or big hands and small parts, I got to thinking one night that there should be a better way to do this. This suggestion only applies to atv owners with winches. The winch wiring is already installed on some Polaris models, and as such the red wire goes to the battery and the black wire to ground, and you also have the other end of those wire going to the winch contactor, so if your contactor has terminals, you can actually connect the battery tender red and black cables to the red and black terminals on the winch contactor, and the battery will charge perfectly. I have my contactor in my front storage box, so it's much easier to connect to the cable terminals there, as to going under the machine to the battery. I also energized my winch while this was connected and had no problems at all. Simple idea that works and takes some work out of hooking directly to the battery

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Excellent idea. The tender and any other accessory type connections should stay off the battery posts.

I have a BUSS series 187 MRCB100 switch duty marine circuit breaker on the hot side of my winch wiring. It gets shut off when I'm not on the bike because I'm paranoid.

For the tender I did something similar to you. I used the main frame ground under the LH side of the seat and the battery side of the winch circuit breaker. Works great and I only have one wire on each battery post. Ctek makes a slick little panel-mount socket for their tender that I put in next to the circuit breaker. We'll see how it holds up.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
That is a great idea!!

But have already wired both of my connectors to the battery terminals..... and didn't have any problems at all? Hardest part of it was trying to find a spot to hang the shop light so I could see what I was doing and it wasn't in the way!! :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had no problems connecting the tender leads to my 2013 550 LE either. It took longer to decide how to route the cable after the connection so as not to get pinched, burned, frayed, etc.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I mounted mine to the battery without issue. save having to hold the battery nut up so that the screw was long enough to reach it. other than that it was easy to do.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
My 850XP Touring came with the leads already attached to the battery and the connector was hanging right by the RH headlight.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I mounted mine to the battery without issue. save having to hold the battery nut up so that the screw was long enough to reach it. other than that it was easy to do.
I did that too. I had a small U shaped shim to hold the nut up,but later found some bolts just a little longer.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have a DEKA battery...each post has 2 holes to screw in to..one on top and one side one...I run my main wire on top an winch and tender on the side...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts