Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just picked up a battery tender jr and have attached it by alligator clips.. It appears Id have to remove plastics to attach the permanent attachments.. Is this correct or do any of you have tips to attach it?
I really don't wan to remove anything and probably wont be able to take it into the shop till spring for it seasonal / maintenance up keep..

Ps, Its a 2013 sportsman 500 h.o

thank you in advance

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
If I remember correctly..... When I installed my plug to the battery terminals, all I did was trim a little of the red and black battery cable terminal covers off to allow for the battery tender plug cable. I tucked my plug inward under the seat, in an attempt to keep it cleaner. I have to remove the seat to plug the tener in, but that's no big deal. I have my tender hung from the ceiling where I park the wheeler, so it's always ready and convieniant to hook up!

Does thatn answer your question.... and maybe a little more?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply... I appreciate the tips, and going to use them..
Main question is, how do I un screw the battery connections to attach the permanent connectors.. It appears that you need to go down into the screws to loosen/remove to attach the ringed connectors.. There is no room to unscrew from the top, appears id need an special screw driver to do so, as I don't want to removed the plastics..
I can post pictures if needed..

·
Registered
286 Posts
Main question is, how do I un screw the battery connections to attach the permanent connectors.. It appears that you need to go down into the screws to loosen/remove to attach the ringed connectors.. There is no room to unscrew from the top, appears id need an special screw driver to do so, as I don't want to removed the plastics..
post a pic of yours. I have an 06 and only the positive terminal screw is a pain to get to. The screw also has a bolt head that I can get a box end wrench on to loosen. Its a pain, but it can be done.

·
Registered
75 Posts
When I installed the battery tender lead on my 07 I had already taken off the rear plastic. This was because I was replacing the rear trunk. My battery was turned with the terminals facing in (towards the seat) and the plastic did partially interfere with my ability to loosen or disconnect the terminals.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
The screw also has a bolt head that I can get a box end wrench on to loosen. Its a pain, but it can be done.
Like ztman said..... To get the eyelets of the tender plug onto the terminal bolts, I used a box end wrench from the outer-fender / wheel well side. It was a pain, but was do-able!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I was able to get a 1/4" ratchet on the neg and a wrench for the pos.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
425 Posts
Just did the wifes 08 500 and just used a screwdriver. Your results may vary. Dont know about the new ones.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just put one on my '12 500 HO, which should be the same as your '13. I used the adapter with the two round eyelet connectors that attach to the battery. I found it easier, to remove the hold-down strap and rotate the battery on its side to remove the bolts and install the connectors. I did it without removing the fender. Then I routed the wire along side the frame, under the seat, so it exits on the left side, just below the seat. I drilled a small hole in the plastic and used a wire tie to hold it in place. This way it tucks behind the plastic when not in use, but can easily be pulled out when connecting to the battery tender.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I just put one on my '12 500 HO, which should be the same as your '13. I used the adapter with the two round eyelet connectors that attach to the battery. I found it easier, to remove the hold-down strap and rotate the battery on its side to remove the bolts and install the connectors. I did it without removing the fender. Then I routed the wire along side the frame, under the seat, so it exits on the left side, just below the seat. I drilled a small hole in the plastic and used a wire tie to hold it in place. This way it tucks behind the plastic when not in use, but can easily be pulled out when connecting to the battery tender.
Would you be able to snap a pic of where you drilled the hole??

·
Registered
505 Posts
I just wrapped my around the hold down strap for now. Just installed mine two weeks ago.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hey guys, I just picked up a battery tender jr and have attached it by alligator clips.. It appears Id have to remove plastics to attach the permanent attachments.. Is this correct or do any of you have tips to attach it?
I really don't wan to remove anything and probably wont be able to take it into the shop till spring for it seasonal / maintenance up keep..

Ps, Its a 2013 sportsman 500 h.o

thank you in advance
My 2010 took a 9mm, small socket. I stuck it on the battery screw, then pushed up on the plastics and slid the wrench in to attach it to the socket that is already in place. It was tight on the positive terminal that's for sure. If you have to, take out a few pop rivets to allow for some "play" in the plastics.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The new ones are probably different. But I took the left rear wheel off, removed strap & battery cover, used a box end wrench on the terminal post. I cut slots in the black plastic cover so that the wires don't have to bend down to fit under the cover. I had to add longer bolts because after adding ring terminals for the winch wires, Battery Tender pigtail, and extra lights....the stock bolt was too short.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Would you be able to snap a pic of where you drilled the hole??

When I get a chance to get out to the shed where it is stored, I will get a pic.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks

SAM_0375.jpg

As you can see, with this location I can tuck the wire connection behind the plastic when not in use. This way it is almost invisible, and protected from damage.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just wrapped my around the hold down strap for now. Just installed mine two weeks ago.

This is what I do. Has been working perfectly fine for 2 years. Except my little cover that covers the lead holes snapped off the other day so now its not tethered on...stupid cold weather. Mine is a '12, you can access the bolts with a wrench without having to remove anything. I just had to do it the other day again to install my wire for my led bar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am going to have to do something to my 800. Went out to clean the driveway and it wouldn't turn over. Stupid cold weather.

Wondering if a swivel adapter would be nice to use? The negative is going to be a pain to get to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts