Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lot of questions on charging batteries, and keeping them plugged in when not in use. I use a wall timer set for 1.5 hrs in a 24 hr period and use a 800ma Battery Tender brand charger.

My ATV battery is now 2 years old and I just load tested it and it has 12.76 v and 427 amps in the OEM AGM battery. It was tested after being disconnected from the charger for 24 hrs.

This is the set up I use and it works for me.

Wall timer.jpg

Battery Tender.jpg

·
Registered
'15 Polaris Sportsman 570
11 Posts
I use a Harbor Freight trickle charger- just keep it plugged in and take it on/off as I go.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Size of charger and length of time on greatly affect battery life. Too much or to little charge will kill a battery premature.

·
Registered
2020 Sportsman 850
85 Posts
I've been using the junior for many years. Never had to replace a battery yet on the Sportsmans . (but do trade after 3 years) My honda Big Red battery is 8 years and still strong though.

Reactions: MrEd

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Size of charger and length of time on greatly affect battery life. Too much or to little charge will kill a battery premature.
Yep - Tender on an outlet timer is the best setup

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
1,449 Posts
Yep - Tender on an outlet timer is the best setup
Question,- on my Battery Tender Jr. .75 amp output, do I trust the directions/package info that states it will not overcharge and can be left plugged in all the time?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a similar tender. 4 of them from Walmart. Should i get timers? Mine has a orange charging indicator that will turn green when it's charged. It's supposed to monitor and charge when needed but I'm not out there watching it. I haven't had any battery issues since I started using it on my 2 year old original battery.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I replaced my battery New Years Day bought a Battery Tender Jr. 750ma {.75amp} it's an intelligent trickle charger/maintainer it goes into a float mode and can be left unattended 24/7/365/100. I only use my ATV during hunting season September - January. I didn't do any hunting last year due to the pandemic and lack of vaccines my ATV went essentially unused for 12 months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts