Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking for some advise on batteries. I have a 2015 sportsman 570 w/ESP.
Ive had the machine for a few months now and love it. I installed a marine grade stereo with handlebar controller, as well as some additional lights. Two
PIAA 55w headlamps on the front bumper and one Generic 50w headlamp that i tucked up under the trunk for a reverse light. (skipped the in depth relay route and just installed a micro push button switch on the inside of the shifter knob) Anyway without a backup pull start im afraid to run much of anything for more than a minute without the engine running cause my display cluster constantly reads low battery voltage.

My question is this. I decided to upgrade to a deeper cell glass mat battery and would like to get a bigger one then the machine is designed for such as a 16 as opposed to the 14 that came with it. If I do this could I cause any harm to my machine and will my stator be able to efficiently and fully recharge/tend the bigger battery ??

If anyone knows more able these charging systems or could help that would be awesome ! .... ( I do know i may need to modify the mounting area to hold the physically bigger battery but thats no prob).... THANKS

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I'd swap out those lights with LED's. The stator can only produce so much power, not sure the bigger battery will help much.

·
Registered
162 Posts
+1 on swapping out those lights. A bigger battery would only give you a few more min of runtime. I can't be 100% but I believe a bigger battery would take longer to charge back up once you run it down due to the stator.

If it helps I am running Polaris LED Headlights, LED taillights, 2 48w LED lights on the brush guard, 2 18w LED lights on my plow, an 881 LED in my headlight pod, heated grips & thumb warmer on high and constantly running my winch on the OEM stator and equivalent OEM spec battery without any issues at all. Such can be the efficiency of LEDs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts