Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wanted to share. I was tired of always seeing a low voltage message. Let's face it the stock batteries suck. So I found one that is a little longer, a shade shorter and about the same width, but upgraded from the stock 190cca to a 340cca AGM sealed one for $90! Because it was a shade shorter I was able to put a pice of hard rubber mudflap under it and a small pice under the stock strap, and it bolted up perfectly! So if anyone is looking for an upgrade here's the link USA-Made Big Crank ETX18L Battery - Free Shipping: BatteryMart.com

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, check your radiator hose that runs beside the battery. My stock battery had been rubbing the hose the whole time and I didn't know it. So when I installed the new battery I split a pice of heater hose and wrapped it to protect it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I went with an Autocraft AGM from Advanced auto. Not as many CCA's as theone Buckwild listed but it has worked great, even in some sub zero weather( ice fishing on Erie,-5 one of the mornings). Go online and use coupon code A124 when checking out. Select local pick up and choose the store closest to you and your all set. Should be able to pick one up for $57.99 plus tax (take an old battery to get core charge back) Good luck. Here a link to the battery I bought.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-12-volt-sealed-agm-premium-powersport-battery-220-cca-tx14ah/16940012-P

·
Registered
393 Posts
Not quite sure that stock batteries are all that bad. I have a 2009 Sportsman Touring 800 with about 3300 miles, 340 hours. That is on year number 6 of winter plowing and summer wheeling as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not quite sure that stock batteries are all that bad. I have a 2009 Sportsman Touring 800 with about 3300 miles, 340 hours. That is on year number 6 of winter plowing and summer wheeling as well.
Agreed that not all are bad. My brother bought an 07-09 (I can't remember the year) and we just replaced the battery in that last year. But from what I've heard and experienced, the ones in the 570s aren't big enough and go down quick unless you keep them on charge all the time.

·
Super Moderator
7,033 Posts
Hey guys just wanted to share. I was tired of always seeing a low voltage message. Let's face it the stock batteries suck. So I found one that is a little longer, a shade shorter and about the same width, but upgraded from the stock 190cca to a 340cca AGM sealed one for $90! Because it was a shade shorter I was able to put a pice of hard rubber mudflap under it and a small pice under the stock strap, and it bolted up perfectly! So if anyone is looking for an upgrade here's the link USA-Made Big Crank ETX18L Battery - Free Shipping: BatteryMart.com
The specs show that battery being about 3" longer than OEM. Do you have any pictures of how this fit? They do have a 220CCA battery that is the same size as OEM as well.
I've never had a problem with OEM batteries in any of my atv's, but CCA's are good to have.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a tab on the front bottom of the battery tray that prevents it from sliding forward into the driveshaft. With it slid up against the tab you still have a little room between the battery and engine. Just had to put some rubber mat on the bottom and strip on top to keep it tight and secure with the stock strap.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,033 Posts
That's a pretty tight fit. Thanks for the picture. :top:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a pretty tight fit. Thanks for the picture. :top:
It's probably not as tight as the pic makes it look. I'll try to measure the distance between the battery and block this evening. That was the best pic I had on my phone last night. It is close to the bock ,but nothing that concerns me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it seems like it gets to hot I will put some heat shielding around the battery later. But I don't think it will get any hotter than the stock size battery would.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went with an Autocraft AGM from Advanced auto. Not as many CCA's as theone Buckwild listed but it has worked great, even in some sub zero weather( ice fishing on Erie,-5 one of the mornings). Go online and use coupon code A124 when checking out. Select local pick up and choose the store closest to you and your all set. Should be able to pick one up for $57.99 plus tax (take an old battery to get core charge back) Good luck. Here a link to the battery I bought.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-12-volt-sealed-agm-premium-powersport-battery-220-cca-tx14ah/16940012-P
How did this battery from Advance Auto fit in your 570? Did you have to make any mods or was it plug and play?

·
Registered
55 Posts
another ice fisher here. that battery is in an impossible location to get to. if i needed a jump it would be slushed in. i ran cables up top and i run a small car battery with a garden tractor battery as backup. i used the stock battery as trade in. now i can charge this thing at will.

·
Registered
48 Posts

How did this battery from Advance Auto fit in your 570? Did you have to make any mods or was it plug and play?[/QUO

Fit perfect, dropped it in & ready to go.

·
Registered
48 Posts

AutoCraft 12-Volt Sealed AGM Premium Powersport Battery, 220 CCA TX14AH: Advance Auto Parts
How did this battery from Advance Auto fit in your 570? Did you have to make any mods or was it plug and play?[/QUO

Fit perfect, dropped it in & ready to go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I took your advice and got the same battery from Advance.What a difference! Thank you for the information and please everyone that owns the 570 replace those crappy factory batteries, you won't regret it

·
Super Moderator
7,033 Posts
After seeing this thread go on, I decided that for the price, I would go get a battery from Advance Auto just to see if I could tell any difference from my OEM battery, which has given me zero problems so far. Here is what I have learned.
Make sure you have them check the new battery before leaving the store. I got home and installed it, turned the key, and nothing. Checked it with my multi-meter and it only had 7.7 volts. Back to the store for another battery. The positive and negative posts were also reversed from the OEM. They gave me another battery, same part numbers and all, and the positive and negative posts on this one were the same as the OEM??? Figure that one out. Brought my multi-meter with me and checked it right there on the counter. 12.8 volts. Okay, good to go.
Got home and installed the new battery. Turned the key and it fired right up. It maybe cranked a little faster, but really not much different than before, with the OEM battery.
My OEM battery read 12.7 volts, so it's good as well after 1 1/2 years.
For those having battery problems, before running out and buying a new one, pull your old battery, unscrew the caps and check the acid level. I had two cells that were still full, but the other four were all pretty low. Looking at the battery, the design of the venting system allows the fluid to come out of the cells easily. I can see how the cells could lose their contents when bouncing around on the trails. I refilled them and put it on my little 1.5A maintainer. In just a little while, it read fully charged, and the electrolyte was dripping out of the overflow cap. I think this may be happening to those who plug into a maintainer all the time, and are having battery problems. You may be emptying your cells when plugged in and the battery is fully charged. Low or empty cells can/will cause the battery to not perform well. Top them off with distilled water and see if that doesn't fix your problems.
The new battery is advertised as 220 CCA, but the battery itself is marked 210 CCA. WTH? Kind of false advertising there.
Based on all of this, I would say if you want/need a new battery, the Big Crank EXT 14 may be a better way to go. The AutoCraft TX14AH seems a little iffy to me. Between the mis-advertised CCA's and the +/- posts being reversed on the first one I bought, I don't think I would recommend it as a good alternative to the Big Crank.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine just always seemed weak never really got any weaker, just seemed under powered to turn over the 570. I agree that you need to check the acid levels. That is why I recommend going with a AMG sealed battery.
Bob it ain't just you , I've never had any luck with Fishers, AutoZone, advanced ,ex batteries .

·
Registered
588 Posts
I ordered a Big Crank ETX-15 for my 570, as it is the same size as the OEM, but 220 CCA. Seems to fire up quicker and easier than OEM, though I didn't really have issues with OEM, even though I generally used a maintainer. Question I have for those that have replaced their OEMs is are you still using the maintainer? OEM is inside in reserve, since it is still good.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I only really used my maintainer if I knew I would not be using it for a long time ( which I usually use mine atleast once a week or so ) and I would have to put it on charge a few days before I knew a snow storm was coming so it would be fully charged to use winch to operate plow. Then I would plug it up afterwards to recharge it fully. With the new battery I have now , I may not use it at all or if I do it will just be after plowing to recharge it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts