Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Polaris 450 sportsman. Will not keep charge. !# sometimes 11 down to 9 . always n battery tender. Any answers?

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Possibilities: battery tender failed and is not charging the battery - battery tender output was over 1.25 amps and burned the battery up - battery failed for other reasons.

·
Premium Member
7,402 Posts
Depending on the type of battery maintainer it may have been the cause of the batteries failure. Time for a new battery and a charging system chk.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Not sure WTF Polaris engineers decided just needs to run with the ignition and main cutoff on the LH handlebar switched off on a 2012 Sportsman 500HO carbureted engine.

I got tired of the plug it in when it's not in use game.
I have a motorcycle battery shutoff on the battery ground lug. She starts every time now. I don't have to plug it in at all. I have a pull start but I don't have to use it.

The AGM battery was installed five or six years ago. It still reads 12.4v on the VOLT gauge when I tighten the screw on the cutoff and switch her on.

This is the cutoff switch I used. I just put one on my stepbrothers' Harley and his riding mower. Same problem. Fixed on both of them.
https://www.amazon.com/Jtron-motorcycle-terminal-Anti-leakage-Disconnect/dp/B07C4Q859P

1 - 4 of 4 Posts