Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2004 sportsman 600 and lately my battery symbol on my display has been coming on. for a while it would turn off for a few seconds when i turned on my lights but then turned back on and the atv would still start but i noticed the battery was getting weaker and weaker and now it is dead. i used my multimeter to check voltage at the battery with the atv running and i had about 11.5 volts at 4000rpm. i work on small engines for a living and know there should be at least 14 volts. i dont know whether it could be the stator or the rectifier/regulator. has anyone else ever had this problem or not but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Seven year old battery. Hmmm The battery specs are in here somewhere. I posted them.

·
Registered
601 Posts
umm....replace the battery or try to charge it and then do your tests...with a weak battery you should know that your not going to get the voltage from it...Make sure the battery is good....then maybe we can help you...Muddie49

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i replaced my battery about a year ago. i am currently in the process of trickle charging it for a while to see if i can get it charged to run my tests again.

a guy i work with also said i should be getting about 40-42 ac amps coming out if the stator before the rectifier. if im not then the stator is bad. are these numbers correct?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i charged my battery up this weekend and ran my tests again tonight. i am almost certain now that is the voltage regulator/rectifier. at 4000 i will have about 13.5 volts at the battery and then all the sudden it will jump to about 16.5. at this point the battery indicator on my display comes on. im assuming that its trying to tell me that my charging system is overcharging the battery becuase there shouldnt be that many volts going into the battery. there shouldnt be a whole lot more than 14.5 if im correct.

the atv also starts up fine now. the battery will not drop below 11 volts with the starter engaged so my battery should be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I have the same machine and it had the same problem. It was the reclifier it won't allow your battery to charge. My battery light was flashing on mine as well. Simple to change around 90-100$ look around you may find it cheaper. It's located under the plastic in the very front. Good luck if that don't work maybe your stator is going bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts