Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so in the last year ive put 2 batterys on my 02 sportsman 400 and now this one is bad. im assuming starter clicks have to pull start and lights wont work for about 30 seconds after start. can anybody help me with this issue. thank you

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sounds like a bad stator. Not charging or charging to much like a bad village regulator. Take a meter and measure the voltage in your battery running

It's just a thang

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea ive owned it this long and i need to get familiar with the wheeler. Just get it a little to wet the other day and had change the oil amd air filter on it

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Pull the battery and get it charged and load tested. My bet is that it is bad. I say this because your comment about the lights sounds like the charging system is working. If you need to replace it, look into an AGM this time.

If it passes, put it back in the quad and check the voltage on it when it is not running. Should be 12.5sh. Then start it and rev to about 4k rpm. Voltage should be 14.5sh. If it does not go up, your charging system is bad.

Sean

·
Registered
806 Posts
Boburk is right on about the battery. Also if you have a winch check out your contactor. I had one that would on occasion draw the battery down overnight. Had to replace it and no more dead batteries.

·
Registered
222 Posts
yea..you got some electrical problem imo
stators probably fine.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
What was the outcome of this? Curious...

Sean

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry i forgot to re post so i got the new battery in it seemed to be working fine up until last weekend i measured volts again at battery and got 8.4 so im assuming the regulator/rectifier is out, from what i read any way. so i got a new one coming from dennis kirk. i will repost wednesday and see if thats fixes it. on a side note i havent found the regulator/rectifier can anyone tell me where that is located? thanks sorry for the long wait

1 - 12 of 12 Posts