Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to get some new tires and wheels for my 800 and want some opinions on the Bearclaw HTR's versus the STI Black Diamond. Both are radials and at least 6 ply but can't decide between the two. Either one I get will be mounted on HD3's in machined black. Ill mostly be riding on trails, crop fields, some mud and pavement. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
455 Posts
STI black diamond gets my vote

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have the bear claw HTR and love them..great traction on snow...rock..gravel roads..over logs...I bush wack alot so been in deep snow and all above...have not got stuck once....side walls are very thick..some of the areas i go are steep..just a great tire..i went on lots of forums even other brands just to get reviews..and not 1 bad one....

·
Registered
482 Posts
Don't know about the Black Diamond but the HTR's are superb. I highly recommend them. I just put 1500 miles on a set and they still had plenty of wear. I came off of 2 sets of Zillas. The HTR's wear better, handle better, soak up all rocks better and are 8 ply. Some of the GNCC racers use them however a few went back to Dirt Commanders to have less front tire roll in corners. I never really noticed and prefer the nicer ride anyway. I tighten the suspension a few clicks after getting these tires because they soaked up the bumps so well, I actually started riding faster and was bottoming out more. The grab around turns is awesome and the traction is unbelievable. I can't say enough about these.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the XTR black diamonds. They are GREAT in mud. My only side note is that they are a bit rough on hard pack at <5mph. But I am messing around with tire pressure to see if that helps at all. I love the tires and love they look on any atv.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don't know about the Black Diamond but the HTR's are superb. I highly recommend them. I just put 1500 miles on a set and they still had plenty of wear. I came off of 2 sets of Zillas. The HTR's wear better, handle better, soak up all rocks better and are 8 ply. Some of the GNCC racers use them however a few went back to Dirt Commanders to have less front tire roll in corners. I never really noticed and prefer the nicer ride anyway. I tighten the suspension a few clicks after getting these tires because they soaked up the bumps so well, I actually started riding faster and was bottoming out more. The grab around turns is awesome and the traction is unbelievable. I can't say enough about these.
Snowman pretty much summed it up. I too had to crank up my shocks after putting HTRs on because they soak up everything. Only thing I could add is the HTRs are more of a square tire then the black diamonds. Not sure if black diamonds run true, but the HTRs run true width and height.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so it seems about even as far as the performance. When you say you have to add a few clicks to the suspension, what do you mean? This is my first ATV so I'm trying to figure it all out. Are you adjusting stock suspension? Also, I don't have a lift and don't want to lift it either, but would 27" tires fit without rubbing? I was looking at either the 26x9-12 on the front and 26x11-12 on the rear; or getting (if they'll fit) 27x9-12 and 27x11-12. Man this forum is great with alot of help from knowledgable people! Thank you all.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
means he adjusted the shocks...there is an adjustment to lessen or stiffen the springs...a round ring under the spring.....

dont just look for reviews here....try other sites also....if your going to do serious mudding..I dont think these tires will be for you...mild to medium they will work...I went thru some foot an a half deep mud no problems...it was a mountain spring run of..so does not freeze...but up to the seat mud..look at other tires...the HTR run true to size...maybe a bit bigger...but did no create any fitment issues....both are good tires..I looked t tons of tires an narrowed down to 3-4 tires..and got the kenda...glad i did.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah as soon as I asked the question about the adjustment I found something on youtube on how to adjust. Sorry about that, should have looked first. But yeah I just looked at mine and the right rear spring is in a different notch than the left spring. So I'll be messing with that tonight. I don't think I'll be doing any serious mudding and am leaning towards the HTR's and now even the regular Bear Claw's. But thanks for the input al.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
From what I have read both seem to be great tires (so you can't really go wrong) but I would go for the 8ply radial myself just for added thickness and protection from rocks and what not, others to compare with in my opinion are the GBC Reapers and pitbull rockers, all good 8 ply radials. But the think the HTR's are the cheapest of the 8 ply radials.. (note: I run 6ply radials currently and they do me just fine) Good luck as tires are a pain in the arse to make a decision on, LOL...

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
your welcome Rider..i seen the reg bear claws at a shop..and looked good...meaty...I just wanted the 8 ply an radial since I run on lots of rock an gravel...and I bush wack my own trails some times an have to crawl over logs..up ledge outcrops...i am not into the mud..not a spring chicken any more to do all the fancy movements on the machine to try to grab traction..lol....plus i ride alot at night...coyote hunting....

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
BEARCLAWS!!! I was impressed with the regular Bearclaws I had on my X2 before I switched them out for Bighorns. Now I won't run anything but radial tires on my ATV's. For whoever asked the question, no, Black Diamonds do not run true to size. Not even close. They run small.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you think I could put on 27" tires without having to do any mods? I was looking around on MudThrowers and Moto X Mall and both are pretty mch the same price with free shipping. I could go up to 27" for about $30 more for the set. Oh the decisions are endless haha.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Yes, I had my 27" on my old 800, did rub the wheel well a tad, but no biggie..

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via tapatalk

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
You wont go wrong either way. If you're looking to increase the diameter of the tire you need to get a clutch kit to maintain your performance levels. Also, the increased tire size adds more stress to the axles. so you'll have a greater chance of breaking an axle if you get into something that is deeper than you thought it was. A clutch kit will help with this, but not eliminate it entirely. Just remember, the axles act like a fuse in the system. Better they break than the diff, trans, etc. in other words, the axles are a designed weak point.

I went with the Black diamonds and have not been disappointed at all.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Thor. I've already talked to Ryan at QSC and plan on getting a new clutch kit from him after I get these tires. But I'll definitely keep the axels in mind too. Dang, I should have never bought an ATV because all I ever want to do now is ride and upgrade it every chance I can haha. But yeah they are real fun and the kids love riding with me too so that's fun.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I got the 26" ones and had lots of clearance and added some height since the run a bigger than 26..close to 27 "...you will be fine with the 26..like thor said..going bigger may warrant a clutch kit....you add weight and also more tire radius to turn....I bet the 27' ones are closer to 28" they run big...you dont want to start snapping axels...weakest part on the drive train....you will be happy with the 26"...I run some skidder roads with some good ruts in it...never bottomed yet...

Oh also check Chaparell motors sports.....they run sales they beat out motoxmall price which was a good price when I looked...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I ran 27's in my old 800, never had an axle problem, I wouldn't worry about them, you really don't need the clutching, but it will add some low end snap for ya

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via tapatalk

1 - 20 of 37 Posts