Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 550 w/mega mayhem tires and sti hd alloy rims. I'm very curious to hear if anyone has had issues with front bearings wearing within a year. I have babied the wheeler this past year and still had significant play in both front bearings. One resulting in my axle breaking yet again. Any suggestions? Are larger tires that big of a problem wearing out parts quicker?

·
Premium Member
12,408 Posts
Yup get a bearing greaser. Lots of threads on them.

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
1,723 Posts
I’ve been listening to all, just got my bearing greaser in the mail

·
Registered
3 Posts
If your goi g to go through the effort of greasing the bearings just pop out the old ones with water and mud in them and replace them as needed. Just one more step. You gotta pay to play hard!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your goi g to go through the effort of greasing the bearings just pop out the old ones with water and mud in them and replace them as needed. Just one more step. You gotta pay to play hard!!
That's just it I'm not playing hard. Groomed trail, dirt roads and maybe a novice gravel pit toting around the kids. Pretty slow speeds. I'd hate to see what happens when I start hitting serious mud holes and rough terrain

·
12,829 Posts
Rarely but I do drive through a shallow pond a lot. Am I washing away the grease?
Not so much washing it away but the bearings have very little grease in them when new. Once water infiltrates inside and then the machines sits a few days it makes rusty spots in the bearing that are rough. When the machine starts rolling again next time you ride those rough rusty spots begin to grind away. If you use a bearing greaser to fill the bearing when new and then occasionally thereafter water can't infiltrate easily because the grease you pumped inside the bearing prevents it and the bearings will last many times longer. Also, any water or grit that may get inside is pushed back out when you grease regularly.
A pressure washer will force water inside places it shouldn't be is the reason I asked the question. Over the years I've seen more wheel bearings destroyed by guys trying to wash their machines to death than by all the mud puddles and creek crossings they ever went through lol. Learned many years ago riding dirt bikes that the guys you saw immediately run to the car wash on the way home from riding were the ones constantly having to replace their wheel bearings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's funny! I believe in dirty wheelers. Means I'm having fun! Thanks for the technical info. I feel like I understand what is happening and I can't blame wheeler, mechanic or tires so much anymore. I guess I'm going to be learning how to do bearings and greasing them too!

·
Premium Member
12,408 Posts
Yeah don't go and install new bearings when they just need grease, lol. So I grease them fresh out of the box. Then every 50hrs along with all the other service like oils and grease zerks. On a new wheeler same 50hrs.

I use the Jensen over the axle greaser. You'll just need the 44mm one, it does both front and rear wheel bearings.

Reactions: Owen117

·
Premium Member
12,408 Posts
Polaris now offers heavy duty bearings. Not sure what the difference is, but they are expensive.
I'll give them a shot for shits and giggles. These F'ing things are money pits anyways, lol. It's going to be a while I think I have a full set of aftermarket bearings on the shelf.

Reactions: Owen117

·
Premium Member
12,408 Posts
Honestly I don't think they have released them yet.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
If you don’t have an over the axle greaser you might have a point. If you do, then your saving a lot of steps and well worth doing a little greasing here and there and not replacing bearings!

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
1,723 Posts
Agreed, I just greased all mine on Saturday. First time, all took 17 to 20 pumps to fill, greaser worked like a charm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts