Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about going to Tug Hill and what to see what you all might know.
There are a couple things we would like to know.
Are there nice accomadations somewhere? Like cabin or houses..
Where is the best area to stay so that you are right on the trails and have easy access to restaurants/bars/food?
Can you stop on the trails and cook out for lunch?
Can you bring beer with you on the trail and not get busted? Not looking to get bombed but would just like to be able to pack some adult beverages and not get hastled...
If you stop along the trail at a bar and have a few drinks does anyone give you hard time?

Anyone been to Hatfield & McCoy or anywhere in Ontario?

I'm leaning toward Tug Hill but the rest of the gang is between H&M or Ontario.

Thanks for your imput.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Pretty much anywhere you ride with booze you will get your balls busted on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok I get the beer thing. But what about places to stay with nice accomodations, like a house or cottage. I don't want to stay at a hotel/motel/lodge. We have a group of about 8. Also, we dont want to trailer daily.
How often can you hit a stop along the trails for a bite to eat or stop and get a drink/pee ect. We have a couple girls going that would rather use a bathroom...
I heard theres a lot of road riding at Tug Hill. True?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am thinking of going ta tug hill myself. However i was going ta do the camping thing. Stay at Whetstone State park. I found this video:

Destination Polaris - Lewis County, NY / Tug Hill ATVing

Also this may help:

Mind you I have not been there yet. but have been looking into it and am planning a August weekend trip.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There are almost limitless places to drop from up there, I would go to tughilladirondacksatv.com and check out some of the info there... I rode twice up there last year and plan on going up just about every weekend I can in 2013. Lots of tavern/restaurants right on and not far off of the trails. There is a map you can purchase that has those places, and gas stations, shops, etc shown right on the map. They have day passes available which you can purchase at numerous outlets, I think they're like $10/day. Or you can join one of the numerous clubs listed on the website for not much more. You can stop just about anywhere on the trails, as a lot are seasonal roads, and you should have no problem finding a place to stop for a picnic, etc.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've got some pics posted on my account listed under 2012 SNIRT Run that were all taken up on the Tug...

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
1. Timberview Lodge has some cabins for rent. Decent place for grub too. Right on the trail.

2. Other good places to eat / drink: Sportsman's club over by High Market (when you can catch it open), Hook and Ladder (in Montague on Salmon River Road), Montague Inn, and Flat Rock Inn, Tuggers (In Barns Corners)

3. If you aren't stupid, nobody minds you stopping along the trail and having lunch or an adult beverage. I usually take a 6 pack and space it through the day.

This summer we extended the trail down past Lyon's Falls to Boondocks Boondocks Restaurant and Bar - 3950 NY State Route 12 - Lyons Falls, NY 13368 They have great food but are kind of at what is currently "the end of the line" yet also conveniently next to The Edge Hotel. Both places have traditionally catered to the snowmobile crowd (as have all the above mentioned places) and this spring will be their first year on the ATV Trails

If you do come, defintely buy trail permits. The DEC (Department of Environmental Conservation) has some of the Seasonal Roads or "Truck Trails" open to ATV's but those can get pretty boring. The better spots are the actual ATV Trials which you won't find too easily with the Official Map you get with you trail permit purchase. Also the map will steer you away from the Truck Trails that aren't open. The DEC will defintely ticket you for being on them, beer or not.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good info.

Timberview sounds like a must visit especially the play area. I'm sure the other spots along the trail will just happen. I am looking to do more wooded riding and stay away from the faster open road riding. Speed isn't my thing.
I will definitely get the permit, not looking to pull a fast one.
Not looking to get wasted on the trail but would like having an adult drink when you stop at a scenic point along the trail or when you stop at a local watering hole. But if i get stopped with a 6 pack on the trail i don't want to end up in cuffs either. That's the delima i face. Not sure how stringent they are with that...

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I've always got a 6 pack on me. And usually an open bottle of Jack. But I stay within the limits, follow the laws, and never get hassled. The only time I have been pulled over and ticketed was when on a road I thought was ATV approved that apparently wasn't. DEC Officer never even asked if I had alcohol, but then like I said, I don't push the limits. Had I been unsteady and slurring I'm sure I would have deserved and gotten a DWI as well.
The DEC and State troopers wont stop you unless you are breaing laws. They don't do spontaneous alcohol checks without reason, or nobody would be up there.

Are your machine's registered in PA? Because they will pull you over if you're not sporting a plate.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about it... I don't thing it as a real priority in the law enforcement community up there to randomly stop ATV folks unless you're doing something foolish or illegal. There really isn't a large law enforcement presence up there unless you're up there for one of the large "poker runs", and even then they will only bother you if you're being an ass.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
So moral of the story:
If you come up, have fun, be safe, don't be an ass. Let me know if you do show. Maybe I can come ride with you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do you really need to drink alcohol and ride Atvs? How stupid is that? Be an adult instead of drinking an 'adult beverage'. I've been riding Tug Hill for over 12 years and the last thing I want to see is another yahoo drinking beer and riding bar to bar. Be responsible, leave the booze at home. There are lots of families with kids that ride there.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
There is nothing wrong with an adult beverage here and there. That is why there is a legal BAC, and also why that legal BAC isn't 0.00 It is possible to have a beer and not be dangerous to yourself or others. If you believe ANY alcohol is dangerous then you either have a self control problem and are incapable of having just one, or you have a tolerance problem and are intolerant of others who are not like you.
There is such a thing as having a drink without getting drunk.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Where does the trail to the boondocks start kicker? If you ride across rt26 and rt12 over to the town of Grieg, the Pine tree inn near brantingham lake is an excellent stop, they have the best food of anyone up there if ya ask me. My family owns land in Lyonsdale not far from the moose river.

We don't usually carry beer with us, but a drink at the bar is never outta the question :)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The trail to Boondocks was built at the end of the season. After the season really. It is currently gated and will be opened in the spring when the trails re-open. It connects between Burdicks Crossing and the River, there where the trails wind around behind the drive-in movie theater.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So they do have daily passes for 10 bucks? I didn't see anything about it on the website. $80 was a bit steep for the one or two days I would be able to ride.

Thanks for all the info

·
Registered
575 Posts
Cool, looking forward to that, will there be access to any of the gas stations in that area?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts