Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on mounting the plow plate directly to my Ricochets? Thought about welding a nut to the back side but aluminum and steel don't mix. Guess I could bolt a steel plate to the backside with bolts welded on and then bolt plow plate directly to skid plates. Someone has to have a good solution as removing both skid plates is a royal PITA! By the way my plow plate mounts with 4 u bolts currently.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Could you just drill holes in the skid plates for the u-bolts so you can just tighten them down onto the frame, kind of sandwiching the skid plate between your mount and the frame tubing??

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
Could you just drill holes in the skid plates for the u-bolts so you can just tighten them down onto the frame, kind of sandwiching the skid plate between your mount and the frame tubing??
That sounds like the good option if longer u-bolts will fit. Just bolting it to the skid plate would probably not be a good idea with the way Ricochet plates clamp onto the frame. Don't believe it would hold up very well being used like that. That's why my plow is on my wife's 500. No aftermarket skids on hers.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I don;t have a mid mount, but my eagle front mount uses 2 u bolts for the rear. I drilled holes through the skids and sandwich the skid between the frame and mount. Taking off your skid plate to mount your plow is crazy! Way too much work.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Everyone, the problem is once the skid plates are on there is no way I know of too get access behind the skid plates to put in u-bolts. Its a mess.

Need some type of system on the back side of skid plate that I can just bolt into from the action side of the skid plates. From the punishment the plow takes it would have to be some type of heavy nut on the backside I could screw into. I know drilling and tapping the aluminum plate would not be strong enough.

Appreciate all the responses so far..

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
They must make nuts that can be welded to the aluminum skid plates as that is what comes with them stock. Drill some holes and have someone heli-arc some nuts to the back side so you can just bolt on the plow plate.

·
Registered
450 Posts
You could weld a small piece of plate steel or angle iron (stronger) to the ATV frame in the desired location, have a sturdy nut welded to a hole in the plate/angle iron. Then drill a hole in your skid plates so you can bolt up without hassle.

Added benefit, your plate/angle iron mount and the nut will be fairly well protected by your skid plates.

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
Take the skid plates off, put the u-bolts in place and feed them through the holes you drill in the plates when you remount the skids? I know, not as easy as I make it sound. My skids are so deformed now, I have to use my floor jack to mount them after I do a full service. I don't know how the mounting plate mounts on the XP compared to my 500, so don't know if my suggestion is worth a damn or not. :) Any pictures of the plate mounted so we can see how it attaches?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I don't know if bolting through the aluminum is a good idea. With the aluminum being so soft compared to the steel I think it would oval out the holes in the aluminum and pull right through. Also if you weld an aluminum nut on the back side you would have to use aluminum bolts, maybe stainless. I know aluminum and steel will bond themselves together if wet and left long enough. I think it is something like electrolysis, that causes a catalyst. The aluminum can be anodized or the steel need to be painted. Maybe pics if you can get any would help us brainstorm.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I don't know if bolting through the aluminum is a good idea. With the aluminum being so soft compared to the steel I think it would oval out the holes in the aluminum and pull right through. Also if you weld an aluminum nut on the back side you would have to use aluminum bolts, maybe stainless. I know aluminum and steel will bond themselves together if wet and left long enough. I think it is something like electrolysis, that causes a catalyst. The aluminum can be anodized or the steel need to be painted. Maybe pics if you can get any would help us brainstorm.
The only way that aluminum will permanently bond to steel that I'm aware of involved explosive bonding. That process is commonly used in shipbuilding to bond an aluminum mast to the steel superstructure of the ship. Any other current method of "bonding" will likely result in dissimilar metal corrosion, which, over time, can eat away at the two metals over time. Easiest way to prevent this would be to coat one of the surfaces with a rubber-like substance, such as undercoating spray or bed liner spray. Paint won't entirely stop it, unless you're using an industrial compound like PSX 700.

As far as ovaling out the holes, in the method I talked about in my previous post, the aluminum skid plates wouldn't be holding any tension. The aluminum would be sandwiched between the steel bracket welded to the frame and the mount plate. All that's required to do to the skid plate is drill a hole for the bolt to pass through to the steel plate and nut welded to the frame.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could weld a small piece of plate steel or angle iron (stronger) to the ATV frame in the desired location, have a sturdy nut welded to a hole in the plate/angle iron. Then drill a hole in your skid plates so you can bolt up without hassle.

Added benefit, your plate/angle iron mount and the nut will be fairly well protected by your skid plates.
That might be a good idea. Would have to find a better welder than me though! Lol...have to take a really good look in the spring and take some pictures....definitely have to a strong connection...have rattled my teeth a couple of times hitting stuff with the plow.

·
Registered
450 Posts
A muffler shop or small-time welding shop should be able to weld those plates for around $100 and an hour or so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts