Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys this may be a stupid question but here goes, if I break my drive belt while on the trail can I still put it in AWD and have power to the front wheels? Or are the front wheels powered by the belt?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Belt drives the transmission which then outputs to the rear and front diffs. Belt breaks...you won't be going anywhere. Always a good practice to carry a spare with ya in a storage compartment on the bike, along with the appropriate tools to swap them while on the trail. Would REALLY suck if you were 40+ miles away from your vehicle...helleva walk.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Guys this may be a stupid question but here goes, if I break my drive belt while on the trail can I still put it in AWD and have power to the front wheels? Or are the front wheels powered by the belt?
If you warm up your ATV for 5 minutes at idle then drive around for 5 minutes in Low and drive slow to warm up your belt you won't break them. Also never never never pull, plow, drive in deep sand, snow or go muddin in High gear and you won't break your belt. High is only for no tire spinning fun and speed. Any time your spinning your tires excessively or putting your ATV under load you should be in Low. 90% of all belts break or get roasted by driving in High gear when you should have been in Low!

It happens to the best of us so don't get too mad the first time you smell rubber and look at your gear selector. Hopefully you will smell it before it is completely smoked! I was fortunate and now have around 1100 miles and 200+ hours on my belt and only made that one mistake trying to get myself unstuck in deep sand and I forgot to downshift into Low. That smell will shock you back into reality. There is always a spare in the cargo ready to go!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for the information, I guess I will have to get a spare and carry the tools to change it

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you warm up your ATV for 5 minutes at idle then drive around for 5 minutes in Low and drive slow to warm up your belt you won't break them. Also never never never pull, plow, drive in deep sand, snow or go muddin in High gear and you won't break your belt. High is only for no tire spinning fun and speed. Any time your spinning your tires excessively or putting your ATV under load you should be in Low. 90% of all belts break or get roasted by driving in High gear when you should have been in Low!

It happens to the best of us so don't get too mad the first time you smell rubber and look at your gear selector. Hopefully you will smell it before it is completely smoked! I was fortunate and now have around 1100 miles and 200+ hours on my belt and only made that one mistake trying to get myself unstuck in deep sand and I forgot to downshift into Low. That smell will shock you back into reality. There is always a spare in the cargo ready to go!

Yup, some good advice. Don't want to be a statistic. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts