Polaris ATV Forum banner

Belt/clutch problems

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  polman500 
#1 ·
My 03 500 HO keeps busting belts. The clutch looks fine so I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if I'm buying the wrong belt. Can anyone tell me what kind of belt it calls for? Or maybe give me some inspection tips?

#3 ·
It explodes lol. The first time it was in a million pieces. The second time it did the same thing but some of the belt was still together. Kinda like the outer layer exploded. But the belt was still intact or at least a thin layer was.

#6 ·
First, you need to make sure you have the correct belt, the air ducts are clear and there's no rubbing on the cover.
You can use a clutch alignment tool or "eyeball" it with the cover off. There are various ways to adjust alignment according to the amount and direction it needs... adding shims behind the secondary, adjusting motor and tranny mounts etc. All too much to explain in detail here but you should be able to find the info by searching the forums, Google searches or try to locate a service manual for your machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.