Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,any help would be good please,I have an 06 800 sportsman efi, I'm getting to much tension on the belt from the clutches,jamming the tranny in gear....i checked the mounts ,they're good...clutches are reasonable good...getting frustrated trying to solve this before a dealer trip required....any thoughts on this problem???:hmmm:

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I s the primary clutch releasing all the way, when idleing is the clutch sheaves against the belt, then its time for a clutch cleaning

·
Registered
900 Posts
Sounds like you have a very common issue.
Do you have an EBS primary clutch? Is your belt turning at idle? It shouldn't be. Like was already mentioned , if your belt is touching one of the primary clutch sheaves at idle, then it will want to turn causing a hard time to shift into gear as the trans gears are moving. Pull your clutch cover off and have a look. A picture or video is always good....
Also.....if your idle is too high, it will cause what you are experiencing.....

·
Registered
424 Posts
same problem

( Hard Shifting. Hard to shift )I am having the same problem.
(2011 850 xp)

--The drive clutch sheaves do not appear to touch the belt at idle.

--Idle Speed is correct.

--The belt is dragging at idle making it hard to shift.

--The belt looks like brand new. I compared it to a new one and it shows no wear.

I checked the one way bearing on the drive clutch. It is supposed to turn only one way. Well it does, but I am suspicious that it has too much drag when "free wheeling".

So I am taking it apart to clean and inspect the one-way bearing. (I am held up now waiting for a clutch removal tool.)

I will report whatever I find on this. I hope others will too. This problem is a head scratcher.:nixweiss:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hard to shift

Update:

I poked around and now I can see what the problem is.

I run the engine speed up enough to start closing the drive sheaves - then return to idle. The sheaves do not retract all the way. They remain slightly closed - just enough to touch the belt.

While its still running, I can put a stick against the movable sheave to push it back, and then it returns to fully retracted and the belt stops moving.

It is clear the problem is not the one-way bearing. The problem is the drive clutch. I don't know why it is not retracting all the way. Just a light nudge with the stick makes it retract to normal.

Everything in there looks squeaky clean. But all I can think to do is to take is apart and clean it well.

Do you think I need a new Spring ? (spring is red/white).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts