Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was doing some lake riding in deep snow and after a few miles the belt disintegrated!
The belt had 1350 hard miles plus a few drunken smoke the belt situations...lol
so it had a pretty good life.
Luckily the local dealer had one and I was back up and running in an hour.

Here's the belt... or what's left of it lol

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hope you bought a spare too...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope you bought a spare too...
Lol... the funny thing is I have a brand new belt at home in the garage.
I forgot to grab it when I packed some things up... at least I remembered the tool kit!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
was there lots of debris in the vent tube...that belt blew up..lol...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
was there lots of debris in the vent tube...that belt blew up..lol...
Funny you ask...
I thought I got it all out but guess what... I didn't lol.
So this morning I had to take it apart again.
Once I started riding again yesterday it sucked belt chunks back I into the case.
I'm pretty sure I got it all now. Didn't want to take the whole front plastics off in the hotel parking lot yesterday.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Wow, Kabam! Amazing really. If that's all that happened, and no damage, all is good I guess. :)

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Were you using high or low range? I'm guessing that made a wee bit of noise when it gave up the ghost?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I am guessing over speed in LOW. My son did that on the old 500 and the cords chewed the crap out of the clutch cover, snorkel and the rubber sleeve. Thank God I own duct tape and Automotive Goop. LOL

·
Registered
978 Posts
ha thats awesome. Bet it was loud

·
Premium Member
10,342 Posts
I have about the same mileage on my 11'. Sean I don't see a clutch kit in ur sig? I chk my belt last sept before our annual hmt trip and it looked good. Never felt it slip. Just wondering if I should change it at 1500 miles.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No clutch kit. I checked the belt last spring and it looked good.
I was in high range. The snow was way to deep to ride in. I tried low range first knowing being in high would stress the belt but I got nowhere. Just dug a hole. I was going about 20mph at 5500 rpm when it let go... it was a noise I will never forget...lol
After examining the belt it seems like the rubber is hard and not very flexible. Maybe it was dried out and stiff...
i dont blame the belt or the wheeler. I've done my fair share of abuse on the belt and was surprised it lasted as long as it has. I bet if I never went on that lake it would have lasted even longer. That belt was working hard to pull through that snow.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have about the same mileage on my 11'. Sean I don't see a clutch kit in ur sig? I chk my belt last sept before our annual hmt trip and it looked good. Never felt it slip. Just wondering if I should change it at 1500 miles.
Belt life really depends on the rider.
If you take it easy they last very long some guys have gotten over 3,000 miles on a belt.
Me on the other hand I run it to the bar all the time, go through deep mud, have big heavy tires, do wheelies, etc...

I would say change the belt and keep the old as an emergency spare.
Either way you can bet your a$$ that I will remember my spare belt next time I ride away from home.

·
Premium Member
10,342 Posts
i bought a spare when i did my clutch kit so im going to install that on a nice WARM spring afternoon. i was running the bike hard in all this snow we have just last week and was concerned about how hard the bike was being pushed. same here running in H bc L didn't give me the wheel speed and she was just digging-in in L.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I myself also keep a spare sitting in the garage, it always goes with me when or group goes one a week ride. I wish more of my buddies would carry a spare also, it kills the morale when their rig is broke down on day one and they dont have spare parts

·
Registered
479 Posts
My friend blew the belt on his old SP500, when I removed the cover the lower of the cover fell off and had to remove the primary to clean all the chunks of belt it had inside.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Fyi, over this Easter weekend on our annual spring trip, my buddy lost his drain plug on his belt case. We were able to fix it and keep him riding by stuffing a tire plug in the drain hole, doubled it up twice and stuffed her in there and worked perfectly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts