Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hmmm: How much belt warm-up time should I allow when the temps are zero & below? Normally I allow about 5 minutes. Forecast weather currently is calling for wind chill advisory, winter storm advisory & wind gusts over 30 mph. I'm anticipating warnings over the weekend with wind chill in excess of -35 below.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I usually let mine warm up about 5 minutes sometimes more sometimes less. Ive never had a issue and its been below zero most the winter here in MN

·
Registered
450 Posts
I normally let mine idle in the garage while I set up my loading ramps and keep it idling in the truck until after its tied down and all my other gear is loaded and I'm ready to leave.

When I get to the trail, I'll idle it in the truck while I get my riding clothes on, un-strap it and unload and wait for everyone else to get ready.

Biggest thing is to put it in neutral while it idles so the secondary clutch moves with the belt. If you have it in gear (not sure about park, I always just use neutral) the secondary clutch won't spin freely, causing the potential for your belt to rub a shiny spot on the clutch "walls" and the edges of the belt itself. It'll heat up pretty quick with all that friction, so if I'm ever stopped for more than a second or so, I shift to neutral.

·
Registered
978 Posts
And letting it idle in gear will give your belt a hour glass shape....just not a good idea. Jgcoadtie why do u let it idle while your putting the straps on...just wondering

·
Registered
450 Posts
And letting it idle in gear will give your belt a hour glass shape....just not a good idea. Jgcoadtie why do u let it idle while your putting the straps on...just wondering
Mainly just to give the stator time to do it's thing. It only takes a minute or so to load it, I just hate to run something for such a short period of time. If I load the quad first, then load all my riding gear in the truck, then it gets about 10-15 minutes of runtime from start-up to shut-down.

I haven't changed the spark plugs yet, and I'm told these 850's run rich at startup and factory plugs aren't the best for full combustion. Running for a bit will help keep fouling down a little.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tks so much for the replies. I also make sure to start up in neutral. Guess I've been doing things ok. I really wanted to make sure especially with it being so dang cold. :veryhappy:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
5 minutes idle and 5 minutes in low and slow...that's my recipe for long belt life. Doesn't matter if it's 15 below or 75 degrees. And like said, don't let idle for long in gear.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I was on Ebay last night looking for a temp guage for my sportsman...I seen a kit that you install with a guage...cool idea..the sensor mounts in the thermostat housing...

Any ways while looking there was a guy selling a belt temp guage...it was sorta nice...the guage was graduated in degrees but also had a color reference as what temp area was good to be in an wheat not to be in...this would be good for the mud riders an rock climbers...the ones who are more prone to over heat a belt...its just another gizmo ..but the water temp is a nice add on...I hate idiot lights....most times its to late

·
Registered
460 Posts
I normally let mine idle in the garage while I set up my loading ramps and keep it idling in the truck until after its tied down and all my other gear is loaded and I'm ready to leave.

When I get to the trail, I'll idle it in the truck while I get my riding clothes on, un-strap it and unload and wait for everyone else to get ready.

Biggest thing is to put it in neutral while it idles so the secondary clutch moves with the belt. If you have it in gear (not sure about park, I always just use neutral) the secondary clutch won't spin freely, causing the potential for your belt to rub a shiny spot on the clutch "walls" and the edges of the belt itself. It'll heat up pretty quick with all that friction, so if I'm ever stopped for more than a second or so, I shift to neutral.
I am curious, does anybody know if neutral is better different than park as far as secondary clutch movement...I normally use park when idling. I will start using neutral if the secondary doesn't spin in park.

Thanks.

·
Registered
450 Posts
So park is not the gear to be in while you idle. Makes sense... How else would the trans keep the quad from rolling if the secondary clutch didn't grip the belt? I don't see how it could.

The park gear seems pretty useless to me on a quad to begin with. Give me a parking brake and I'm good to go. I think a lot of people are possibly ruining their belts without even knowing it, letting their machines idle while in park.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Ive always used park to let mine idle. And always have used park when i got it tied down in the truck or trailer. I really like park for that feature of transporting it or stopping on a hill..just easier imo then setting the parking brake, guess im lazy lol

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think you guys are over-thinking it. Your belt is not going to burn in 5 or 10 minutes at idle. If you are going to idle longer than that, shut it off. Your quad is most likely equipped with electric start. There is no virtually no tension on the belt at idle. I would bet real money that it doesn't even get warm. It takes a lot more than you think to hour glass a belt. You will burn a belt faster running in high when you should be in low. Just my .02 cents.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I always idle in N for about 5 minutes. Drive around slow and low for 5 minutes and then gently increase speed and the switch to H as needed. Mostly stay in L for entire winter but did put it in H tonight as I plowed a house about a mile away, then back to low. Belt acts like it did the day I bought the machine. I have no engagement lurch and never smell a hot belt even when pushing heavy snow spinning the tires. Your belt does warm up at idle a bit as your entire engine and gears wam up through friction and convection but running in Low for a few minutes is the Holy grail for warming up your belt and plates so they grab.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts