Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the belt but I noticed the clutch has grooves on the shaft and the belt looks like it is meant to go on them. The new belts I see don’t have the same pattern so I was wondering if it would make a big difference.

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
Nope, the belt makes contact on its sides.

·
10,585 Posts
The grooves of the belt run in the grooves of the one-way bearing in that style clutch at idle and during engine braking.
What machine do you have?
You need the correct belt for that clutch.

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
The factory belt is 3211095. What belt do you have?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I search for that part number I can’t find any that have the extra grooves. I was wondering how important they are to it’s functionality.

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
Best bet is to buy the OEM belt and install it. Remember writing facing you when you put the belt on. Also clean the clutch sheaves, primary and secondary. Blow them out, clean them with a Scotch-Brite pad, and wipe them down with brake clean applied to a clean rag.

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
Different belt manufacturers different designs. It's not critical. All that's happening is the primary open the belt drops onto the one-way the secondary depending on how fast it's turning keeps a certain amount of pressure on the belt and that pressure is directly proportionate to the amount of EBS input there is. So it's going to work regardless of belt design. Mind you OEM is the best belt you can buy.

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
Anytime 😉

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
Just like the belt drives from pressure on the sides from the sheaves, the one way EBS bearing is driven by the sides of the belt ridges running in the grooves of the bearing. When engine braking fades it indicates the belt needs to be replaced.

·
10,585 Posts
You can use any belt you want. It may or may not work correctly or last very long. The ridges on the back really serve no purpose other than helping with cooling.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I checked the measurements and was wondering if the belt being 1/8 longer would make a big difference

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
You know i dont think that much, i could be wrong. I think clutch engagement would be a bit higher.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts