Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down my driveway @ 55mph and a whole bunch of smoke came out, smelling burning rubber. Will this problem be covered by the warranty? It dosen't even have 200 miles on it yet :werd: :damnit: :kabong:

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
warranty depends on dealer, you might get it coverer but I doubt it , they will say you abused it, burning belt

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not so much if they will cover the belt, but why did it smoke it? If you truly didn't abuse it at all, I would be more concerned about the belt wear. Make sure your dealer knows about it. You could very well have a clutch problem and need it fixed under warranty. Hope you get a new belt but it is very easy for them to call it a "wear item".

·
Registered
900 Posts
The dealer should cover it fully even though it's a "wear" item. With only 200 miles on the belt, something else is wrong. Have them check the clutch alignment and offset.

Kevin

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hopefully you have a dealer that takes care of you after the purchase and do whatever he can to earn your business in the future..so many these days only care about selling you the atv and no service after the sale..let us know what the dealer does about your belt

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had the same problem with my 2011 sp 500 yesterday. I was traveling about 40 mph and herd a loud grinding so I locked the brakes. Had to get it towed home, tore it apart and seen the belt was detroyed. Of course polaris said it was my fault, so I had to pay $75 for a new belt. The primary clutch has a groove in it, not sure if that's normal or if it's wearing? Any help would be awesome!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I just had the same problem with my 2011 sp 500 yesterday. I was traveling about 40 mph and herd a loud grinding so I locked the brakes. Had to get it towed home, tore it apart and seen the belt was detroyed. Of course polaris said it was my fault, so I had to pay $75 for a new belt. The primary clutch has a groove in it, not sure if that's normal or if it's wearing? Any help would be awesome!
Groove is not good! Don't put the new belt on, you'll destroy it. Something is wrong with your clutch system. The sheaves should be have a smooth machined like finish.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the 400 back today and the dealer paid for a new belt but the next time its on me. When i turn the key though there is a flashing wrench symbol on the display! wtf does it mean and how do i get it to go away. and yes for you people wondering about my driveway, i live in the country and my driveway is about a quarter mile long.

·
Registered
145 Posts
it should be covered completely and check to make sure about clutch cause that can cause that kinda damage to your belt and if i were you i would make them replace my entire machine

·
Registered
91 Posts
My brothers 2011 500 is clunking now. WTF Polaris. The thing has 13hrs on it. Not sure how a belt goes bad in 13 hrs? It hasn't even been stuck or rode hard at all. The dealer "thinks" it's the belt.

·
Registered
665 Posts
....moved my message to another thread.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts