Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Sportsman 300 and just received a Pure Polaris replacement belt. When I went to remove the old belt, I took note of the belt number, still clearly visible, on the old belt - ending in 108. When matching up the new belt -ending in 129, I notice they are exactly the same size. So anyways, I put it on, fits fine, machine runs and drives fine. Doing a bit more research, I find another Polaris belt, part number ending in 164, which is also an OEM fit for this machine. So that’s 3 belts that can be used for the Sportsman 300 ???? Can anyone enlighten me here ?? Has anyone else run into this ?? I’m comfortable my new belt is fine, but why 2 others that can be used on this model ??? Inquiring minds.

·
10,595 Posts
3211108Belt, Drive, Midsize [Built 12/07/07 and Before]
3211131Belt, Drive, Midsize [Built 3/02/08 and After]
3211129Belt, Drive, Midsize [Built Between 12/08/07 and 3/01/08]

·
Registered
147 Posts
Come on poleman you just had to spell it out for us didnt ya. I was looking for a smiley guy thing with a light bulb over it but didn't find one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
10,595 Posts
LOL... Yeah, when they come out with a new model Polaris will often tweak and tune clutches/belts etc for the first little while. They did the same thing with the 800 when it first came out in 2005 for a couple years.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Add to this that:
3211108 was superseded to 3211164
3211131 was superseded to 3211164
but 3211129 is still 3211129

If you order 3211108 or 3211131 you will get 3211164 @ $85, but 3211129 is $67

I expect when the supply of the Chinese 3211129 is exhausted, it will also be superseded to 3211164

And this thread has led me to discover that the 300 is constructed identically as the Hawkeye 200 (just more displacement) - it has a engine clutch driving the shaft that the primary drive clutch is mounted on - clutch driving a clutch set-up. This is another Chinese Polaris that I wouldn't touch with your ten foot pole. It uses the exact same engine clutch as the Hawkeye and some parts are discontinued.

So now there are two more Polaris products that I would not ever own.

·
Registered
147 Posts
A clutch driving a clutch driving a clutch. So it has the secondary driven clutch being driven by the primary drive clutch which is being driven by a clutch. Say that 5 times fast. So am I picturing that right or is there something else in place of the secondary driven clutch?

·
10,595 Posts
An engine clutch (first pic), that drives a weird primary clutch (second pic) that drives an even weirder secondary clutch (third pic).

·
Registered
147 Posts
The first clutch looks like something on a little go cart back in the day.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
The Suzuki LT-A400 Eiger used a similar setup, but the engine clutch was on the LH side, passed all the way through the engine and mounted the Variator on the RH side. They were not as much a problem as the clutch bell shaft was carried on two bearings within the engine cases and had 5 segments vs the Hawkeye/Sportsman three segment unit where the main support bearing is in the clutch cover and the supporting bearing is carried in the belt cover.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow. Lol. One day I’ll be educated enough for all that to bother me. For now I’ll keep this 300 going for my girls. Thanks for the insight everyone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2008 Sportsman 300 and just received a Pure Polaris replacement belt. When I went to remove the old belt, I took note of the belt number, still clearly visible, on the old belt - ending in 108. When matching up the new belt -ending in 129, I notice they are exactly the same size. So anyways, I put it on, fits fine, machine runs and drives fine. Doing a bit more research, I find another Polaris belt, part number ending in 164, which is also an OEM fit for this machine. So that’s 3 belts that can be used for the Sportsman 300 ???? Can anyone enlighten me here ?? Has anyone else run into this ?? I’m comfortable my new belt is fine, but why 2 others that can be used on this model ??? Inquiring minds.
generally it's a configuration management issue. Several manufacturers may make the 'exact same' item, however, to ensure they can figure out which manufacturer item they are having issues with they give each manufacturer and item a different part number in their inventory. In this case, there are so many belt manufacturers you can't throw a rock without hitting one.
it also gives them info on which manufacturer/item is the best bang for their, in this case Polaris', buck.
Been a configuration manager for Navy and Coast Guard platforms (boats and ships) for roughly 30 years.
Hope it helps answer your question.
Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts