Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I had some minor belt slippage after 4 days in the snow, plowing and riding. The quad was in the rain on the way up to our cabin and then it got good and cold. Plowed snow in that conditions with ocassional snow coming back into my face. Then the temps went above freezing and on the way home we went through some bad rain and wind. When I was unloiading it from the truck, it slipped in reverse and slipped again when trying to get it into the garage. I pulled the red drain on the clutch cover and a few drips of water came out.

Would this be normal for the major temperature changes over 4 days and into the heavy rain and wind. OR, do I have a leak somewhere..The gasket on the clutch cover was changed before..Should I get a new one again?

·
Premium Member
9,789 Posts
i never had the belt slip on a ride but i did once after a through washing. u did say there was some water when u pulled the plug so i would lean toward it being from the all the events of ur trip to the cabin. keep an eye on it. u can also but the bike in nuetral rev the engine to dry the belt off and then take it for a spin to dry it out and make sure there isnt a more serious problem.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It looks like you need a new belt... Your belt will slip if there is a lot of water inside your belt but just a few drops wouldn't even do anything. MY belt started to slip and i kept riding it for a few hundred miles like that then one ride it just snapped. I was not able to do anything. I bought my belt at the local napa auto parts near me for $50. My local dealer had one but it was $90 and the napa one i bought was a lot thicker so it seemed more heavy duty.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for the replies!!! I did let the bike idle and then rev it up in neutral.. It cured it 100%. I am more curious how or why it got in there. I am doing a 50 hr service soon so I will be pulling the clutch cover for a inspection. If the belt is worn I will replace it but there is only 75 hrs and 800+ miles on it so it should be fine..If its worn I will replace it..

Maybe fine snow and stuff got in the intake for the clutch cover while plowing etc....

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
My guess would be that you just got some moisture in there through one of the belt snorkels by way of the snow. I would keep an eye on it, but most likely nothing serious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts