Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2010 sportsman 500, and while riding the belt feels like it is slipping or almost feels like it shifts while taking off from a stop.. tacks up high then almost like a shift kicks in.. i removed belt cover and blew out dust and belt looks good, only have 960 miles on machine,, anyone have this problem and what was the repair,, thank you..

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sounds like the clutch may not be engaging correctly.

Remove the cover and start the motor with it in neutral. Give it some gas and watch the clutch. As soon as rpms increase, it should begin to tighten down on the belt.

Make sure that theres nothing hanging or in the way that could possibly get caught in the clutches/belt, to include wires, body panels, t-shirts, etc.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the boards!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
829 Posts
Unless you are into do-it-yourself-ing, take it in to a really good service department. I just changed the belt on my 500 HO and it was creeping at idle. I took it in for service & got it back the next day all adjusted & they replaced the clutch bearings also. Its not that expensive & the bike runs like new.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like the belt is "jumping". Check for weak, broken or binding secondary clutch spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts