Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted in the wrong forum. Didn't realize there was a sportsmans forum

I have a 2006 Sportsman HO 500 and I was out on the trail the other day and I started to hear what sounded like a rock bouncing around in the clutch cover. I then heard a snapping sound and could feel what I think was the drive belt snap and get crumpled up inside. Needless to say I had to get towed out. I haven't opened it up yet but I was thinking of fixing it myself and was wondering if it is easy to do and if a belt from a 400 would fit a 500 because my neighbor has an extra

Any advice?

·
Registered
527 Posts
The changing of the belt is easy. Make sure you remove all belt cords from both clutches. I would also blow the belt dust from the clutches in a well ventilated area. The 500 belt is different from the 400 belt. Make sure the one way bearing on the drive clutch only spins forward and spins smoothly. There should also be a fiber washer next to each clutch sheave on the drive clutch. There is a reason your belt came apart, finding out what caused it will prevent this from happening again. Can you post pictures of your clutches?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info

I will take pics and post but I won't be back up to the cottage until September

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also don't forget to clean out the duct that provides air to the clutch area, belt material will find its way up there too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to find some helpful videos and it looks pretty straight forward. They do mention cleaning out the air intake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would recommend going back with an OEM belt. Rule of thumb to is you wanna stay in low gear when traveling below 17mph. This will extend your life.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm heading up to cottage today to fix that belt. Is the footwell difficult to remove? Any special tools required to take it off or put back on?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm heading up to cottage today to fix that belt. Is the footwell difficult to remove? Any special tools required to take it off or put back on?
you will need an I think an eight or six sided hex bit most tool set have them included and a 3/8 socket for the lock nuts on the underside of the footwells take a steel brush and some wd-40 or whatever and clean the bolt before trying to take the nuts off makes the job alot easier also the gromets-the center portion of the gromet has to be popped out the the rest of the gromet will pop out easily a small straight screwdriver works good
Hope this helps.
J.R

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok....changed the belt and everything seems to be working but what a mess inside the cover. The belt was pretty much non existent when I got in there. Just mostly black power and small chunks from the belt. I cleaned it all up even where the air comes in to cool the clutch and the the belt went on easy. Road it for a tank of gas and opened it up again and everything looked good. I did notice there is what looks like a brass fitting that slides back and forth on the drive clutch. Is that normal? I can hear it rattle a little when driving.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sounds like the cover bushing came loose from the front cover. You will want to pull the cover off and make sure the cover does not look ground up or distorted where the cover bushing goes. Remove and dispose of old bushing do not try to re use as this could cause clutch failure. If the cover is bad you will have to replace the whole clutch. If the cover is in fairly good shape then you will want to order a new cover bushing part # 3576510 and install with red loctite. I do have all parts in stock. If you have any questions the number here is 651-340-1129.

Thanks Dale

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like the cover bushing came loose from the front cover. You will want to pull the cover off and make sure the cover does not look ground up or distorted where the cover bushing goes. Remove and dispose of old bushing do not try to re use as this could cause clutch failure. If the cover is bad you will have to replace the whole clutch. If the cover is in fairly good shape then you will want to order a new cover bushing part # 3576510 and install with red loctite. I do have all parts in stock. If you have any questions the number here is 651-340-1129.

Thanks Dale
So if I understand you correctly the cover bushing should be attached to the front cover and not sliding back & forth under the spring. Do you need to take the whole clutch off to remove the front cover and replace the bushing or does the front cover come of on it's own and I can remove the old bushing and put on the new one.

If I am following this diagram right the front cover ( located between part #9 & 10?) looks like it just screws on

http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/...ategory=ATVs&make=Polaris&year=2000&fveh=5528

·
Registered
527 Posts
You are correct it should be installed in the cover. Remove the 6 bolts on the front cover and remove and throw away the cover bushing. Number 9 is the cover bushing and it presses in to the cover.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are correct it should be installed in the cover. Remove the 6 bolts on the front cover and remove and throw away the cover bushing. Number 9 is the cover bushing and it presses in to the cover.
Great... I'll give it a try when I'm back up there in October.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have some pics I could show you. Not the best quality because it was from my phone but shows the moving piece just under the spring. You have an email I can send them to?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts