Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see on E-bay that a belt made by "Dayco" is advertised to replace belt # 3211048 and 3211077. Has anyone used a Dayco ? What size belt does a 1996 Sportsman 500 use?
rust

·
Registered
527 Posts
The standard replacement belt by Dayco is HP2003 which will not hold up as well as the stock belt. They do offer a HPX2203 which is a top cog belt that offers better cooling and it is also thicker so it will grip the sheaves better this belt works great. Both belts will fit but I would run the HPX2203 or the stock belt for the best performance. I do stock both the Polaris and Dayco belts.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
I've heard that it's true don't skimp on the belts, it'll come back to bite you!:wizard:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the cost of an HPX2203 belt? is this a Polaris Dealership item only or can it be purchased from other outlets- automotive supply outlets? How diffficult is it to change? How many miles should I expect from a belt? Do most owners carry a spare belt with them?
Sorry about all the questions, its just that this is all new to me.
Thanks
Rust

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Dale has them and I don't think there that hard to replace????

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Sheaves", are these something that should be changed? my bike has 1680 miles, how do you know that they have to be changed- if that they do require changing, how will I know?
Rust

·
Registered
527 Posts
The cost of the HPX2203 is 50.00. Not sure who stocks them but most places I have seen only stock the cheap belt which is for smaller low horsepower machines. They are easy to change and only require basic hand tools. Normal trail riding the belt should last a 1000 miles or more. If you are an agressive rider and you want great performance replacing the belt is cheap mph. I would recommend carring a spare belt as this is cheap insurance. The clutch sheaves are not something you can change as they are part of the clutch assembly and this is a balanced unit. You can definetly clean the clutch sheaves. To clean them all you need is a green scotch brite pad from the local store scuff the sheaves in a circular motion appling a good amount of pressure. Then wipe with a clean rag and alcohol you may have to repeat these steps several times until you rag is no longer black from belt dust. Keep in mind that using a brake or contact cleaner can leave a residue on the clutch sheaves which will cause premature belt failure and it can destroy the fiber bushings in the clutch.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I have just serviced the machine from stem to stern, changed all fluids, filters. Cleaned inside and out, sprayed everything with fluid film, it is shining just like a new one. Just need to check the belt and clean the sheaves.
rust

1 - 8 of 8 Posts