Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
looking at a new 1000 or 850 and coming from canam 650
hows the belts hold up in these machines ?
I ride hard tech trails with some mud and hill climbs
I also want to get tracks with my next ride so just wondering how the belts hold up

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've put a little over 400 miles on my machine and the last 150 where pretty good ones, so far so good. Took the clutch cover off to inspect and blow out the clutch and everything looked good. The only problem I ever had with Polaris belts where extreme abuse, towing things I shouldn't have. Normal riding you should have any problems as long as the belt doesn't heat up to badly on you

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a 15 850 with 8000 hard miles, changed belt at 5000 for good measure. It had some wear but not excessive. My 18 1000 has over 3000 miles on original belt. Have not even looked at it. Will change at 5000. OEM works for me.

D

·
Premium Member
7,979 Posts
Yeah the clutches and belts on the Polaris's don't have near the issues the Can-Am's have. OEM belt is the best belt for the Polaris.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a 15 850 with 8000 hard miles, changed belt at 5000 for good measure. It had some wear but not excessive.
Deucer, how did the sheaves look - have you rebuilt your clutches yet and how did it look? I think I read that the bushing on the primary wears out, but not sure.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Deucer, how did the sheaves look - have you rebuilt your clutches yet and how did it look? I think I read that the bushing on the primary wears out, but not sure.
I had problems with all my polaris clutches with the one way bearings. I have had a 12 850, 15 850 and 18 1000. The one way went out of all of them with less than 1000 miles. I replace the one way with a two way scrambler bearing and never have any problems afterwards. Belts seem to last a long time. Never had one blow apart yet. Nothing else needed replaced. I do change belts at 5000 miles and take apart and clean the clutches. I usually sell the bikes at 10,000 miles.

D

·
Registered
259 Posts
Good to know. I'm at about 2,000 miles now and no issues yet, but will replace the one-way bearing as you note in the near future. As for the belt topic, I did burn a spot on my belt that caused a slight jerkiness/chatter when starting movement and low speeds, but to be fair, I really had to push it hard to burn the spot - I was running tracks and got stuck in a deep stump hole and thought I could power it out not realizing how sunk it was. When I removed the belt it look like new, with just a hint of a shiny spot where I'd burnt it. They are tough.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Hi guys
looking at a new 1000 or 850 and coming from canam 650
hows the belts hold up in these machines ?
I ride hard tech trails with some mud and hill climbs
I also want to get tracks with my next ride so just wondering how the belts hold up
I havent broken a belt on my 850 or 1k, have owned one since 2010.
Just use Low range when youre supposed to.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a 2002 700 until early this year. Sold it to my buddy for his son. He is still out of control and loves it. It was one of the 1st 700's built with carb and cam
..Was crazy fast. I also have a 2005 800, both never replaced the belt. Use low & high when appropriate and you will never burn up a belt. I also bought a new 2019 General 1000 Ride Command, don't plan on burning that belt up either. I have seen guys just smoke their belts in snow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 scrambler XP1000: Lots of steep hilly terrain and sand dunes here in Tasmania Australia and change belt every 1,500 kms (say 1000 miles for you imperial guys), otherwise i find at about 2,000kms they blow. NOW YES I use low range for steep work and river crossings etc and also run air temp guage to keep an eye on things. But from my experience when ridden hard (and all my riding is sport orientated) that is their realistic life span unless you want to ride it until they destroy themselves. I accept that the belt as a consumable on a bike with this much power and if i want it to perform optimally and reliably then this is the life span.
Oh Yeah, this is my first post on this or any ATV forum for that matter, so Hi to all

1 - 12 of 12 Posts