Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soo i flipped my right backwards and it landed right on the handlebars which bent the bars way out of wack. I brought it to the dealer thinking it was no big deal and just needed some bars. Turns out the steering column also was bent back slightly which causes the plastic on the bottom of the pod to rub on the plastic below it by the gas tank, this stops the bars from turning fully in each direction. This extremely bothers me as my quad is in good shape otherwise and i want it to perform 100% again like its brand new. I am also concerned for future resale value.

I asked my dealer if there was any solution to fix it, they told me it would require the front part of the quad to be stripped down to the frame to bend it back. Unfortunately this method is pretty labour intensive for what i want to accomplish and would cost lots of money in labour charges.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how else i could fix this?

Thanks your help is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Make model year?

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes its the steering steering post like you showed me there. I just looked at it appears the frame may be slightly bent back where it attaches to the top of the steering post

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Can you get a pic of it and post it? Remove the head light pod. There are a few brackets up there. You may get off cheap.....

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

·
12,692 Posts
Easy fix. Take it all apart, get a big hammer and go to work. The steering stem can be straightened by putting it across some wooden blocks and beat it back straight...or just get a new one for about $120 off ebay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, i will give that a try. My pictures didnt turn out great, i couldnt get a good picture that you see the damage in, there was was all sorts of wires in the way. I am a fairly mechanical person but not advanced enough to do that big of a tear down to fix the steering post. I think i will try banging it forward and see if i get any results.
Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Are you sure the post is even bent? Not just the top mount? I flipped mine backwards hard and it didn't bend.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The photos you sent me look exactly like my quad did when i flipped it before i replaced the bars. My post appears straight from what i see. Im pretty sure that its my frame around the post that is bent which makes it lean back more. I think my top mount could be out by a bit

After you fixed you quad did you have any problems with the bottom of your pod scraping on the plastic body underneath it?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
It does not rub at all. Like new. Insurance covered the whole repair. I did take it apart to asses the damage and price out repairs, and it was better for me to bring it in. Just start taking stuff off from the top down till you can get a clean look at the real damage. The bill for mine was over 1500$.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I bet the small tab that the pod mounts on is bent down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
is this the peice that extends from the end of the steering post toward the light and holds the lower plastic of the pod with 2 screws?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my repair has cost only $180 so far which paid for bars and lower plastic on the pod. Its still not fixed the way i want it though which will likely end up costing me more money.

Do you remember what parts were all replaced and what work was done when you fixed yours?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
All the hand controls, speedo, headlight, top and bottom of pod, bars, and the tab that the pod mounts to. ATV basically fell from 15ft in the air with all force on the bars/pod

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
is this the peice that extends from the end of the steering post toward the light and holds the lower plastic of the pod with 2 screws?
Thats what I'm thinking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow that doesnt sound good what happened with your quad. what happened on mine was the front end popped up while climbing a hill which then flipped backward and landed directly on handlebars and pod. if yours didn't have any frame damage after that fall mine certainly should not either.

The tab you are talking about was severely bent after i flipped it but it was salvaged. I am not sure it was bent to the exact position it originally was. I am going to try to bend it up as much as i can and hope that the the bottom of the pod raises up a bit to stop it from scraping.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
About the same. 30deg hill tree root at the the very top kicked it straight back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts