Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting extra lights for my ATV for safer night riding. Could anyone give examples of what you have used, if you like it, and why.

Thanks!
PCMR

·
Registered
7,469 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I don't have any personally...... But I'll bet you get plenty of recommendations for the Rigid Ind. LED Bar's!!

·
Registered
118 Posts

This is my light bar 72watt 12" LED bar. $88 free shipping from eBay.. Absolutely Awesome!!
Quality is top notch.

Only problem is now my wife wants one for her 850xp. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the fast replies everyone. I appreciate this forum more and more all the time.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Rigid Industries all the way. They produce the brightest light and use very little amps/watts. When comparing led lights look at the lumens and wattage. You will see that Rigid stands alone

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Rigid Industries all the way. They produce the brightest light and use very little amps/watts. When comparing led lights look at the lumens and wattage. You will see that Rigid stands alone
I don't bad mouth anything about the Rigid lights, but the price. No way am I paying $200 to add lights to my ATV.

·
Registered
118 Posts
A 3 watt LED is a 3 Watt LED. They draw 3watts.. How can one company draw less watts than another when using 3 watt LEDs to build the light strings. Maybe, just maybe, lens design might warrant better lumen output from a bar as measured at a distance. BUT you gotta compare apples to apples. Like what distance are they testing at etc etc. I would figure rigid had a better quality light, but I want to tell you that the light I have on my Atv is very nicely built. And when sitting side by side with another 72 watt led light bar on a dark night shining across a frozen lake, the guys standing there comparing, picked mine as the brighter and nicer color light. Mine is more white and the big brand light was more blue.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I don't bad mouth anything about the Rigid lights, but the price. No way am I paying $200 to add lights to my ATV.
Yes Rigid costs more, quality made products do. What's $200 spent on lights on a $10,000+ quad? You can buy a chinese quad a lot cheaper than a Polaris too but...if you want the best, well...
Just my .02

·
Registered
455 Posts
A 3 watt LED is a 3 Watt LED. They draw 3watts.. How can one company draw less watts than another when using 3 watt LEDs to build the light strings. Maybe, just maybe, lens design might warrant better lumen output from a bar as measured at a distance. BUT you gotta compare apples to apples. Like what distance are they testing at etc etc. I would figure rigid had a better quality light, but I want to tell you that the light I have on my Atv is very nicely built. And when sitting side by side with another 72 watt led light bar on a dark night shining across a frozen lake, the guys standing there comparing, picked mine as the brighter and nicer color light. Mine is more white and the big brand light was more blue.

Well "3 watt" I would bet is not a standard. What I mean is; I'd bet companies call their led's what they want, like tire manufacturers selling 6 ply "rated" tires that are actually 4 ply tires.

·
Registered
679 Posts

A watt is a watt is a watt. Can't argue that. But a 3 watt led from one manufacture might put out more lumens than another. Lumens are a measurement of light, not consumption. The color you are referring to is temperature. Not all LED's are equal.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yes Rigid costs more, quality made products do. What's $200 spent on lights on a $10,000+ quad? You can buy a chinese quad a lot cheaper than a Polaris too but...if you want the best, well...
Just my .02
Priorities! Some guys spend $200 at the bar in one night. Some guys like to take a big truck and ruin it by putting big wheels on it. Some guys ride at night and need the best light they can buy. $200 is nothing compared to what I have invested in my wheeler. When I can I buy the best, if i can't I save my money. Of course there are always exceptions to that.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
there are many types LED with different lumen output an color temps..Cree is the leader on the hi output LEDS..I have some Cree led flashlights..incredible light..2000 an 3000 lumen out put..I have a spot light also 10W 2500 lumen...focused beam..when thats turned on its like the sun came up 200 yards away at night time...

I am also looking for LED lights for my quad...I cant afford a Cree light bar...I would be happy to just light up 200 feet in front an side illumination also..I have looked at some knock offs...45.00 for a pair...I want more of a white light so 5000k will do it..more blue would be 6500K...

Rigid is a nice light...what makes Rigid good is the optics..they way they focus the light...where as the cheaper lights dont do so good...

I want mine mostly for plowing..but also for night rides to save a branch in the face...some lights come in 30 degree focus for a spot..or 60degree for a flood...i was going to get the 60 for a spot..but some one here made a good point to me that the flood would be better..wider distribution of light showing sides an front...so the lights I am looking at are 27w 60 degree ..they are chinese knock offs..but 2 for 42.00 shipped I will try them..if no good will be reverse lights..loll

·
Registered
455 Posts
A watt is a watt is a watt. Can't argue that. But a 3 watt led from one manufacture might put out more lumens than another. Lumens are a measurement of light, not consumption. The color you are referring to is temperature. Not all LED's are equal.
Oh I understand that, what I meant was; they may round up or down, i.e a Polaris 500 actually has about 497 cc's

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
simple fact of the matter is Rigid's command a huge "made in america" markup. I can buy Cree LED lights off ebay from china for 1/4 the price or less for more output. Priorities are correct. I'd rather spend less and get equal output and keep money in my pocket then spend more to be able to say I bought american made. Which doesn't do anything for me beside reduce my bank account. Don't get me wrong. I buy american made when I can and it's priced to match the market. In the case of LED lights, they aren't.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Cree sells chips to anyone. It's what is done with those chips that demands a higher price tag. A lot of LED products have cree chips in them, that doesn't necessarily mean the end product is quality.

Edit: It's like buying a computer. You can buy an HP with with an Intel chip for $1000 or and Acer with the same chip for $500.

·
Registered
455 Posts
huh... I'll buy Made in USA anytime it's available, even if that means saving up and waiting. The next job you help support may be your own. just my .02

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
huh... I'll buy Made in USA anytime it's available, even if that means saving up and waiting. The next job you help support may be your own. just my .02
Amen!

Sent from West 'By-God' Virginia!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree 130%

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I'm not going to get into the "US MADE" vs the other guy debate. The fact of the mater is, I've got lights that work just as good and I'm happy with them and paid less than half the cost. You spend your money where you want. I'll spend mine where I want. The end result is we're both out on the trails enjoying our selves.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts