Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to swap out my air filter soon and was wondering whats the best filter for my 2013 550? I had a K&n on my 08 500 efi. But I really didn't notice any extra power from it. I`m not a big fan of cleaning K&N filters and oiling them so I was thinking of sticking with something close to stock. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Stock or an Amsoil filter if one is available.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Air filters will not add performance. It's more about connivence. I'm a fan of UNI foam filters, still have to clean them and deal with that, or just stick with the disposable OEM paper filters.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I thought maybe there was something new and cool that I didn't hear about yet. lol

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Na lol. Air filters are like icing on the cake if you're running exhaust and fuel controller mods.

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I like UNI filter too. Herd too many horror stories with K&N...

Factory paper element with screen cover works well you just need to watch it and change regularly in dusty conditions..

CW

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Completely agree with the K&N......let too much silt in

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
If you want the best filtering, stick with the OEM type paper filters.

·
Registered
455 Posts
UNI for me

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought there would be more choices than stock, K&N or Uni. Guess I`m staying with a stock filter.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Uni filter. K&N took out an engine of a fellow rider

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I use Uni filters. The paper ones are fine but if you tip over and get some oil in the air box or if you swamp it a bit, the filter is ruined. With the foam one you can wash it out, oil it and go off again.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I recently got a uni for my sp800 and you could actually hear difference. Im 100% sure that it breaths better than stock. I didnt say its faster but more edgy on the throttle. I actually have a "before and after" video somewhere...
I like to clean and oil my filter instead of the paper crap thats stock.
Uni pays for itself after a couple of big inspections:)

·
Registered
668 Posts
I tried a Uni in my old 550 and 850. Both times it turned the spark plug top electrode white. So it does flow more than a stock filter but that will make a lean condition. Stock filters have been good for me. Keep a spare or two at home in case you get oil or water on it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
A K&N filter will be fine as long as you run it with a pre-filter. Never run a K&N filter by itself on an ATV.

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
I tried a Uni in my old 550 and 850. Both times it turned the spark plug top electrode white. So it does flow more than a stock filter but that will make a lean condition. Stock filters have been good for me. Keep a spare or two at home in case you get oil or water on it.
More flow = less filtering. The conditions these machines operate in, I want as much filtering as I can get. I'm with you 100%. Stock filters for me.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do the stock filters come with the outer sock cover? Mine is ripped and I need another.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts