Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what most people use for an air filter, stock or aftermarket. If aftermarket what kind. I like K & N but I don't like the oil part of it, have seen it get in air flow sensors and throttle bodies and gum stuff up. I want something that stops the fine dust and maybe adds a little power to.

·
Registered
53 Posts
most people will tell you uni is the way to go. They claim that to much dust gets through the k&N filter if you ride in dusty conditions. That being said I have a K&N on my 400EX. It was on the bike when I bought it. I would say as long as you take care of it it would be fine but since the unis are cheaper anyway I think that would be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
10,589 Posts
stock with the pre-filter is the way to go. some will say they get hp gains out of the aftermarket ones i would argue how much is that really effecting the performance of ur ride. this isnt NASATV were every little bit counts. these aftermarket filters are letting contamenents in, particularly fine dust and sand. the best all around way to go is a stock filter and pre-filter every 50hrs.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
If you run K&N use the pre filter and you should be fine...As far as oiling, all aftermarket filters are going to require a cleaning process and re-oiling of the filter. Personally the UNI is about the best for filtering in my opinion. You might lose a little air flow using a UNI, but to me engine protection is whats important.

·
Registered
175 Posts
K&n will give you a slight horsepower increase over a uni filter but uni is definitely a cleaner filter. My intake tube would be covered in dust after riding with a k&n and clean after riding with a uni. I had a 1hp gain on the dyno with k&n. To me its not worth it on these machines. Go uni, dual stage filter with a little uni oil goes a long way.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Stick with the OEM Paper filter. If i knew for certain that. K&N would not hurt, I would run one.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
My first choice is UNI filter. My second choice is factory filters. It's all how deep your pockets are. ;). UNI will pay for it self after a couple years. Les if you ride a lot longer if you don't or if you don't ride dusty. ;)

As for K&N. I have herd FAR TO MANY horror stories to even chance it! Why would you??? Worst case, factory works great! Yea it's a little restrictive. But it's not a huge deal. I went UNI and have had them on a couple machines for many years. My air boxes are filth when I check. EVERYTHING inside the filter is prestige clean. Not a speck of dust.

CW

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I am more concerned with engine protection than the tiny little hp gains I just had a buddies Rhino blow a ring because of a stock filter letting to much dust by. So any advice is good.

Sent from my YP-GS1 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
860 Posts
I have a UNi like it but my next would be a twin air my UNi is starting to split on the outer layer and I use UNi cleaner and oil had good luck in the past though

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I just bought a used 2002 sportsman 500..it came with a K&N...I seen UNI makes a foam cover the that filter...I have a 1987 Suzuki LT4x4 thats run a UNI for 10 years now..great filter...also my truck runs one also...I do see a bit of a performance increase in the truck...but I am a firm believer in oiled foam filters.....every pore in the filter is a dirt an dust trap....Foam has almost 0 air restriction...due to the pores per inch and thickness...reason why most race bikes an cars use foam...so now I may just get the uni filter or the UNI K&N filter wrap...wrap is 10.00....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts