Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are members from all corners of the us so I could use some help. We are wanting to take a couple weeks and ride a different region of the US. Currently in Fort Worth and trying to decide between going to the west (colorado area), east (Kentucky area), or north (michigan maybe?). Im open to any other area though.

Looking for challenging trails, some mud, views etc. Not really a fan of just riding on dirt roads. I hope to be able to ride 4 or 5 different areas within a few states range of each other, doesn't really matter if park or public land.

So what are your favorite riding places in your area? Any pictures or a link would be great!

Thannks!

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
not worth the drive to the PNW. there aren't a lot of lands up here that you can ride legally unless you own it. If I was making that trip I'd probably go to Hatfield's and McCoy's then head back the PA and Michigan possibly then south through Kentucky.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Your closest and best choice heading East is Coal Creek (Windrock ATV) in Oak Ridge, TN. 72000 acres and over 350 miles of ORV trails and it has everything you could ever want from easy to extreme. Best thing to do is stay in Oak Ridge TN at the Double Tree and the trailhead is only 10 minute drive. There is also a campground on site if that is your cup of tea.

Oak ridge is fairly mild town but there are is some great food and some nightlife. The food at the Double Tree is 5 star which is unusual for a hotel.

Been to Harlen KY and the trails are great but the town is SOOOOO BORING!!!! and dry as well.

North of Windrock is Brimstone and there is also a lot of off trail riding adventures as well. I take the 10 hour drive twice a year and never get bored riding there.

Windrock Park-OHV trail riding, camping, events

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I think it depends on what type of riding you like
there are trails in the woods
there is mud and water
there is rocks
there is mountain riding
there is great riding every place
i love the trails thru the woods
and i find that in Minnesota and Wisconsin

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I was thinking of starting a thread similar to this. I would like to know as well. maybe we could get a list going? maybe a poll? I'm leaning towards kentucky /tennessee for my next family trip. we have beat up wisconsin pretty well so time to move our radius out to the 10 hour drive range from chicago.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
I can't wait until my kids are A, big enough for the long haul road trips, and B, big enough to ride on their own. Can't wait for those family trips. Though I'm sure my wife will think otherwise. Lol.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I can't wait until my kids are A, big enough for the long haul road trips, and B, big enough to ride on their own. Can't wait for those family trips. Though I'm sure my wife will think otherwise. Lol.
how old are the kids?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
my wife is actually one of the proponents for finding different areas to ride. she never traveled as a kid and knows i will go anywhere to ride. win win for everyone. as for my kids they know their limits and if they say they cant do an obstacle then i either ride theirs through it or when possible talk them through it with them at the helm. as for able to make the long trips, the three of them enjoy the luxury of the motorhome ammenities while dad drives for hours.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Kentucky and Tenn are very ATV friendly which is why I choose to ride there. Would love to ride out West sometime but would have to rent a unit as I wouldn't want to haul mine 20 hours.

I'm in Northern Indiana and I make the drive down to Tennessee in about 10 hours.

The Badlands in Attica Indiana is a blast, especially if you have younger kids. About 700 acres and very nice trails, rivers, hills and mud. I've heard Haspin east of Indy is a nice but haven't got there yet.

The Badlands is about a 2 hour drive for me and a great place for someone to pop their cherry before hitting the mountains. They have some steep hills but they aren't more than 75 to 100 feet high. Great river to ride through and even a couple of big drainage pipes you can drive through and land in a pond if your don't mind finding out how deep the water is!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
It is according to what time of the year you want to go. If you want to go in August or September I would pick Utah first then Colorado as my 2nd choice. From the big city of Ft Worth you could go to the Alpine Loop in Colorado for 2-3 days then head north to Taylor Park for 2-3 days then jump on I 70 and head to Utah for a few days. You could stay in Salina Ut and ride the Gooseberry Trails north and south of the Interstate for a couple of days then head north again to Palisades State Park and ride there for 2-3 more days. This would be a great trip and most of it in the high country where it would be cool. Mid September would be awesome for color changes. The riding is endless in Utah and could spend a whole year there riding everything. Not alot of mud but some but the scenery more than makes up for the mud.
I have been to Hatfield & McCoy and it is a nice trail system but if you want scenery and to stay cool in the summer months go west.

Ronnie

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
I am partial to the western states, since that is the part of the country I live in. I like the high country and I'm not really a fan of mud, so that makes it a perfect fit for me. For a change of pace, once a year I make the 6 hour drive to Moab, Utah and get my fill of highly technical riding on the slick rock. No shortage of riding out there even if technical riding isn't your thing.
The front range of Colorado offers a ton of high country riding and scenery to go along with it. A 3 hour drive from the Denver area puts you in Taylor Park, some of the best riding in the state.
Now for the pictures you asked for...

Taylor Park

Taylor Park Vacation 2012 Slideshow by BobX2 | Photobucket

Argentine Pass

Argentine Pass 2012 Slideshow by BobX2 | Photobucket

Moab

MOAB 2014 Slideshow by BobX2 | Photobucket

Moab Trip 2013 Slideshow by BobX2 | Photobucket

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
how old are the kids?
11, 4.5, & 2. I've got a couple years before we do long haul ATV Trips.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bobx2 those pictures are amazing, thanks for sharing. The windrock and hatfield and mccoy trails also look like a blast.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
East of the Rockies and Moab, hatfield McCoy and surrounding outlaw trails are the best there are IMO. Couple thousand miles of real trails from green to double black

·
Registered
110 Posts
I spend my summers in the Colorado mountains, so that's my favorite area. I agree with bobx2 that Taylor Park is one of the best riding areas, especially for those coming in from out of state. It allows camping right in the middle of the trails, and you can ride from your camp or cabin in any direction.
My summer home is in southern Colorado near the small town of South Fork, where we have about 600 miles of high country trails in the Rio Grande National Forest. There are 2 local shops that rent ATV's, SxS and Jeeps. Our trails are split into 4 different areas and you do need to trailer between areas. We have a mix of technical 50" only trails, wider SxS trails and Forest Service Jeep roads linking the trails together. No mud, but a few water crossings, & mostly steep, rocky, single track trails up, down & around the mountains from 8,000 - 13,000 ft elevations, some trails thru thick forest, others in open meadows, and great scenery & views. From this general area you can also hit additional trails just to the north around the small mining town of Creede. Then head a bit further north to Lake City, Co and the famous Alpine Loop Trail, which is more of a Jeep trail, but its 60 miles crosses 2 major passes over 12,000 ft with impressive high mountain vistas.

·
Registered
308 Posts
not worth the drive to the PNW. there aren't a lot of lands up here that you can ride legally unless you own it. If I was making that trip I'd probably go to Hatfield's and McCoy's then head back the PA and Michigan possibly then south through Kentucky.
Eastern Oregon has the Winom-Frasier trail system, several hundred miles of mixed road and trails great riding at about 4500'-5500' elevation in beautiful pine and fir forests. Great fishing for native trout. Not too crowded ever.

Just North of Crater Lake in southern Oregon around the Diamond Lake area again several hundred miles mostly trails with connecting roads Again Beautiful Pine and Fir forests plenty of streams, not crowded. We road this over the 4th this year and it was some of the best trail system that I have ever rode.

North of Boise Idaho is another trail complex that I have not ridden but the guys that I ride with say it as nice as Diamond lake area.

Central Oregon in the Ochoco Mountains just outside of Prineville is another great riding area and the forest service looks the other way if you are on the roads as long as you are behaving.

Just a couple

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am partial to the western states, since that is the part of the country I live in. I like the high country and I'm not really a fan of mud, so that makes it a perfect fit for me. For a change of pace, once a year I make the 6 hour drive to Moab, Utah and get my fill of highly technical riding on the slick rock. No shortage of riding out there even if technical riding isn't your thing.
The front range of Colorado offers a ton of high country riding and scenery to go along with it. A 3 hour drive from the Denver area puts you in Taylor Park, some of the best riding in the state.
Now for the pictures you asked for...

Taylor Park

Taylor Park Vacation 2012 Slideshow by BobX2 | Photobucket

Argentine Pass

Argentine Pass 2012 Slideshow by BobX2 | Photobucket

Moab

MOAB 2014 Slideshow by BobX2 | Photobucket

Moab Trip 2013 Slideshow by BobX2 | Photobucket
Just spent over an hour going through your pics, AMAZING!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Eastern Oregon has the Winom-Frasier trail system, several hundred miles of mixed road and trails great riding at about 4500'-5500' elevation in beautiful pine and fir forests. Great fishing for native trout. Not too crowded ever.

Just North of Crater Lake in southern Oregon around the Diamond Lake area again several hundred miles mostly trails with connecting roads Again Beautiful Pine and Fir forests plenty of streams, not crowded. We road this over the 4th this year and it was some of the best trail system that I have ever rode.

North of Boise Idaho is another trail complex that I have not ridden but the guys that I ride with say it as nice as Diamond lake area.

Central Oregon in the Ochoco Mountains just outside of Prineville is another great riding area and the forest service looks the other way if you are on the roads as long as you are behaving.

Just a couple
Don't forget east fort rock and Milican with over 600 miles of trails 16 miles east of Bend Oregon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts