Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been going to add a set of heated grips to my Sportsman 400 and have never gotten around to it.

OK, what is the best set that have variable heat ranges and not a "wrap around design"? I ride and live in "cold country".

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been going to add a set of heated grips to my Sportsman 400 and have never gotten around to it.

OK, what is the best set that have variable heat ranges and not a "wrap around design"? I ride and live in "cold country".
I've never had any luck with heated grips as they heat only the palm of the hand. So, I've gone to heated gloves.

Yes, one needs to have a wiring harness in a jacket and a socket connection on the machine unless a battery pack is used. But for me, heating the entire hand works a lot better then just the palms.

Just food for thought...

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have had the Symtec Heated Grips/Thumb warmer and the Tusk Heated Grips/Thumb warmer , I recommend the Tusk brand they are a much better grip as far quality goes. They are also half the price , $55 to my door from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.com. They are plug and play , very easy install.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the the OEM Polaris heated grips and thumb warmer. They have a high and low setting and are awesome. The switches fit on the pod and it's nice not having a big switch assembly on the handle bars (plus I have no room on my handle bars to mount anything else).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yup what he said^ oem heated grips are awesome they mount under your existing grips that way you can replace the grips!

·
Registered
729 Posts
What shape are they in after you drag off the grips you put on top of the heating element. ( with or without glue ) probably not good.
Integrated in the grip itself is the way to go imo.
After you glue the grip there is less chance of the twisting on the bar compared to having two components involved.
The Tusk switch is only 1-1/2" square, has 5 led illuminated heat settings and can be mounted anywhere on a flat surface or on the handlebars with ease.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've always used compressed air to remove or install grips never damaged the heating element! The problem with tusk and symtec your stuck with their grips! I'm a big fan of the odi grips they lock on no glue!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
What shape are they in after you drag off the grips you put on top of the heating element. ( with or without glue ) probably not good.
After you glue the grip there is less chance of the twisting on the bar compared to having two components involved.
The Tusk switch is only 1-1/2" square, has 5 led illuminated heat settings and can be mounted anywhere on a flat surface or on the handlebars with ease.
I have never had a problem of my grips twisting, no glue, no damage to the element. I bought the cheapest set I could find on ebay. 3 years later not one problem. And there is no way I would want to look at a switch, 1 1/2" square, all the time or have it mounted on my pod. My two switches are mounted almost under my pod. You can;t see them, just the way I like it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
best grips

I bought mine from Wester Power Sports. Easy to install and works flawless. I was riding in Northern Michigan last week-end [25 degrees] and at times I had to turn them down.:veryhappy:

·
Registered
729 Posts
It would be nice if somebody came up with a element that could go insde the end of the bars where the grips go, only thing is i'm not sure how much heat transfer you would get to the grips heating the bar end first.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I have the the OEM Polaris heated grips and thumb warmer. They have a high and low setting and are awesome. The switches fit on the pod and it's nice not having a big switch assembly on the handle bars (plus I have no room on my handle bars to mount anything else).

I put OEMs on my 700 about 7 or 8 years ago. They work well and have never given me any issues.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have never had a problem of my grips twisting, no glue, no damage to the element. I bought the cheapest set I could find on ebay. 3 years later not one problem. And there is no way I would want to look at a switch, 1 1/2" square, all the time or have it mounted on my pod. My two switches are mounted almost under my pod. You can;t see them, just the way I like it.
1-1/2" really isn't that big and I guess the trade off is the one switch controls both the grips and the thumb warmer opposed to running 2 switches that are 1" around. You definitely are limited to the style grip it comes with though but they are a pretty beefy grip.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
1-1/2" really isn't that big and I guess the trade off is the one switch controls both the grips and the thumb warmer opposed to running 2 switches that are 1" around. You definitely are limited to the style grip it comes with though but they are a pretty beefy grip.
I really like having different controls for both thumb and grips as I find the need for different settings for both.

AFAIK you won't find a sled with single controls anymore for both grip and thumb. Anything in the last 15 years or so will have dual controls.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It would be nice if somebody came up with a element that could go insde the end of the bars where the grips go, only thing is i'm not sure how much heat transfer you would get to the grips heating the bar end first.
I have been looking for something similar since I use ODI grips and they won't go over regular grip heaters and I ran across this on here recently.

Check out post #52.
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-sportsman/22237-best-heated-grips-6.html

·
Registered
270 Posts
I was at first skeptical about the Polaris hand warmers as they are the wrap around style. Had this type years ago & they didn't supply much heat. Never the less because I did not want a big switch off the handle bar, I opted to try them just because I liked that they had one small switch for the hand warmers as well as another one for the thumb warmer which mounted right on the pod where knock outs are provided for the install. They have a low, off & high setting, that's all I need as if my hands are hot, I turned down to low, if they still hot, I turn them off, no need for five different settings. They were a lot cheaper than the symtec I priced out & worked awesome!! Probably take a bit longer to heat right up ( ten mins or so) but my hands take much longer than that to get cold, lol!

Attachments

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
Symtec Heat Demons are the best I've ever owned. Easy hook up and on level 5 you can't hold your bare hands on them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Symtec Heat Demons are the best I've ever owned. Easy hook up and on level 5 you can't hold your bare hands on them.
^^^this:werd:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts