Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
8,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering an upgrade. I'd like to hear opinions from you guys about the best model year for the 850 XP. I've been waiting around for Polaris to get the bugs worked out of the XP line. I thought I might want a new 1000 but been recently looking at a 2014 850 XP HO/LE. I'd like to hear some comments, known problems, experiences, etc.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I would only avoid 13s for the slipped timing gears.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
9-11 had the oil in the air box issue, but otherwise have been very reliable. 13's seem to be the common year for crank issues. Otherwise that's the only things I can think of to worry about on them. Maybe a few 12's I think that threw rods for no reason at all.

·
8,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still on the fence as to what I want. I'm a HP junky for sure but what really got me interested in the 1000 is the reported mpg of 20+. What are you guys getting with the 850's? My old 800 is lucky to get 15 on a good day of very easy riding. Usually it's more like 12 or 13 according the quality of the fuel.

·
8,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah, I'd be very happy with that kind of fuel mileage. I'm lucky to get 60 miles on a tank right now.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My 08 800 likes the fuel too, I always take extra when we go on long rides. I've also been thinking about updating too, but after having the 800 I think I'd skip the 850 and go straight to the 1000.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Do the 11 or 12 and up have bigger fuel tanks? Can't remember

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a 2014 850 XP a few months ago and I've been extremely happy with it. The only problem I've had with it is the spark plugs. They come with Champion plugs but I suggest that if you buy one you install NGK plugs. NGK Laser Iridium #6043 is what you want. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/NGK-ILZKAR7A10-Laser-Iridium-Spark/dp/B001RLS1O8[/ame]

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've got a 14 850 XP and the only problems I have had are the front diff and a few wheel bearings. Front diff fix is a must in my opinion. Wheel bearings are just normal wear but I think aftermarkets hold up better. The front diff fix was a billet aluminium input shaft housing. The stocks are weak! Oh, and the radiator is a SOB to keep clean if you like the mud. I made some shields on the sides and a screen on the front. Front wheels kick alot of mud up there without the side shields.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I bought a brand new 2011 850XP back in late 2010. Only thing I've done is replace the a-arm bushings and ball joints. It gets worse fuel mileage than the 1000!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still on the fence as to what I want. I'm a HP junky for sure but what really got me interested in the 1000 is the reported mpg of 20+. What are you guys getting with the 850's? My old 800 is lucky to get 15 on a good day of very easy riding. Usually it's more like 12 or 13 according the quality of the fuel.
if you are a HP junkie, then the 1000 is the best choice for you but it does have issues. it is a 99% certainty that you'll need to swap out the exhaust to get rid of the heat issue and a 99.999% certainty that you'll need to install the billet diff cover. other than that, it is an awesome machine. i would shoot for the 2015 LE model with the fox shocks and interactive display. if i had my pick of saying which year was best for the 850, it would be the 2014 LE with the fox shocks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've got a 14 and i love it, i was just out playing in the snow. I sold my 700 grizzly (and I loved it!!) but this beats it hands down

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I had the 2013 850 and would still have it if the 1000 hadn't come out, had no problems with the 13 had2200 miles when I traded it in

1 - 18 of 18 Posts