Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If money was not a factor, what is the best 2013 Polaris ATV to buy for trail riding and why?

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
If not for rear tire clearance problems on the 850 Touring models, I would pick that atv. However, with that being the case, I would say the Sportsman XP 850 EPS would be the best machine available. It will handle any tire you want to put on it without needing to think about modifications. It has all the torque and power you could ever use, yet it is very manageable and smooth. The power steering is incredible, and the ride is typical of Polaris atv's. I think it is the best atv on the market today, not just in the Polaris lineup.

·
Registered
209 Posts
There are a few people putting 28" on the touring and no problems, my buddy has 27" on his touring and there is still room, I will be going with 28" meyhams or swamplites in a month or two

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
do your research and it will likely drive you straight into an XP.. shoot out after shoot out done by the industry professionals puts the XP at the top of the heap every time.. Yes we're a little biased here what with being polaris owners and all. But the facts are pretty back it up..

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The 850 was damn tempting,.....fuel mileage and cost steered me to the 550 EPS

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
taking money out of the picture I'd still go with the 550 xp with or without the EPS. Personally I'd go without and and the aftermarket unit to save some money, but that's just me.

The 550 has the same frame, body, clearance, etc as the 850, but it's lighter, better on fuel consumption, and just as capable.

It's like looking at trucks, V8 vs V10, both town the same amount, both have the same size bed, same sized cab. but all you get with the V10 is added fuel costs an an impression that somehow your penis is bigger because of it.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
^^^That's like saying a 5.3 liter Silverado pickup is just as capable as my Duramax Silverado. I mean, the only difference is the engine. NOT!!! Not sure where penis size fits into the equation..... :hmmm:

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
^^^That's like saying a 5.3 liter Silverado pickup is just as capable as my Duramax Silverado. I mean, the only difference is the engine. NOT!!! Not sure where penis size fits into the equation..... :hmmm:
No,.....more like comparing a Silverado with a 4.8 and a 5.3!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
this is more accurate than a gas engine to a diesel.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
:biglaugh:

Damn, that's funny. My junk's big enough, I bought the 550

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
this is more accurate than a gas engine to a diesel.
Actually, comparing a gas engine to a diesel engine is an accurate comparison for the 550 -vs- 850. I wouldn't expect you to understand since you didn't understand my last post either.
Anyway, the OP said money was no object, so why would he want a unit without power steering, only to add an aftermarket PS unit later, and why was fuel mileage and the cost of fuel even mentioned? Sounds like small CC syndrome has afflicted you. :)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Damn Bob.........this is a discussion, NOT an argument!
Gas engine to diesel is asinine, unless your 850 is a diesel.
You have your opinion, I have my opinion!

Is your desire for the 850 an attempt to compensate for something else?

**Oh yea,......not a lot of differences other than the engines, 550 vs 850.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I'm sorry, but for me, money will always be part of the equation, why buy a machine for more, when I can get the same thing for less? thats more money for aftermarket parts to make the machine my own. and why buy an 850, when I can buy a 550 for less money, have a machine that is just as capable, lighter, and cost less to use? again, more money in my pocket for other things. So I can only go Mach 4 instead of Mach 5. Where I ride, and the people I ride with thats a non issue because 90% of the riding is tight trails that keep speed down. Top speed really isn't a priority for me. Granted I like drifting around corners as much as the next guy, but you don't needs a huge machine to do that. for the way I ride, and this is different than a lot of people I get that, getting the biggest machine possible is just a way to say "Hey, I've got more money than sense and by extention from the size of the machine I bought my penis is bigger because if it." Just like buying the biggest truck possible and throwing a lift and oversized tires, but NEVER driving it in anything that would come remotely close to needing those things. I can only speak from the experiences that I've had. and since I don't feel any need to increase the size of my package I see no need to buy a big machine.

what's the phrase, "Talk softly, and carry a big stick"

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
I'm sorry, but for me, money will always be part of the equation, why buy a machine for more, when I can get the same thing for less? thats more money for aftermarket parts to make the machine my own. and why buy an 850, when I can buy a 550 for less money, have a machine that is just as capable, lighter, and cost less to use? again, more money in my pocket for other things. So I can only go Mach 4 instead of Mach 5. Where I ride, and the people I ride with thats a non issue because 90% of the riding is tight trails that keep speed down. Top speed really isn't a priority for me. Granted I like drifting around corners as much as the next guy, but you don't needs a huge machine to do that. for the way I ride, and this is different than a lot of people I get that, getting the biggest machine possible is just a way to say "Hey, I've got more money than sense and by extention from the size of the machine I bought my penis is bigger because if it." Just like buying the biggest truck possible and throwing a lift and oversized tires, but NEVER driving it in anything that would come remotely close to needing those things. I can only speak from the experiences that I've had. and since I don't feel any need to increase the size of my package I see no need to buy a big machine.

what's the phrase, "Talk softly, and carry a big stick"
You might want to consult with someone about your penis fixation. Starting to make folks wonder......?? :ponder:

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
:motz:

Damnit Bob'...............Pepsi out the nose!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
After riding a single cylinder (420 Rancher) and previously a 400 Rancher (loved them both by the way, may they rest in pieces) I found a great deal on a used Sportsman XP 850 Twin. I love the smoothness of the engine and the power is amazing. Never rode a 1 banger Polaris so can't compare but the twin cylinder is much smoother than the Honda's. I don't think you could go wrong with either the 550 or 850. However, if money isn't an issue buy a 550 XP and an 850 Scrambler....lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts