Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a thread on better filters than say the polaris ones. those sure look like fram 6017s btw! they mentioned a good mobil and a better purolator pure one that is a abit longer, say 3/8 to 1/2 maybe. anyone have experience or wisdom as to using this 'automotive' filter as opposed to polaris? just asking!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Wix 51358 is a great filter.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I believe the 500 and the 570 use the same filter so I suppose the WIX 51358 would work for me too?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Champion labs was bought out hy Fram! They are pushing hard to restore quality and their rep of old. They are getting there.

Car Quest, NAPA Gold, are rebranded wix filters, available anywhere. Not sure who Polaris gets their filters from,

Bosch or Puralator.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Saw a thread on better filters than say the polaris ones. those sure look like fram 6017s btw! they mentioned a good mobil and a better purolator pure one that is a abit longer, say 3/8 to 1/2 maybe. anyone have experience or wisdom as to using this 'automotive' filter as opposed to polaris? just asking!
Purolator makes two, I believe their numbers are 6410 and 6412. One is about 3/4 inches longer than the other. You can get them at wal mart for about $3.25. I am using the Purolator filter now and it was recommended by a member of this forum

·
Registered
184 Posts
The Bosch 3323 is the one that is a little longer (more filter media) than the standard Polaris filter.

The Polaris filter crosses to a Bosch 3300, the 3323 is the same filter only a little longer.

It is all I use, use it on my Honda 1100 motorcycle too.

I also like that is is black and blends in well.

Is it the "best" who knows. WIX, Polaris, Bosch, K&N etc are all probably just fine. I dont like FRAM, but they are probably fine too. ANY name brand filter is probably OK. (My opinion) but I only use the Bosch. $6.99 at Autozone, $6.xx on Amazon.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
The Bosch 3323 is the one that is a little longer (more filter media) than the standard Polaris filter.

The Polaris filter crosses to a Bosch 3300, the 3323 is the same filter only a little longer.

It is all I use, use it on my Honda 1100 motorcycle too.

I also like that is is black and blends in well.

Is it the "best" who knows. WIX, Polaris, Bosch, K&N etc are all probably just fine. I dont like FRAM, but they are probably fine too. ANY name brand filter is probably OK. (My opinion) but I only use the Bosch. $6.99 at Autozone, $6.xx on Amazon.
The Purolator L4610 is also a longer filter than the Polaris, and can be had a at wal mart for $3.25

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So no one thinks there are any issues using an automotive "high" (99.9 trapping), higher capacity filter (like any of the name brands you guys have mentioned except maybe fram)- meaning they won't place too much strain on oil pump in 500 engine? just wondering - i would think its ok but just checking what others think?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Wix is my go to brand. Those changing often may be fine with any brand.

Is there any science supporting longer filters being better. I know there is a tad more of volume and perhaps cooling but is there any research that shows a functional value to going longer?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
So no one thinks there are any issues using an automotive "high" (99.9 trapping), higher capacity filter (like any of the name brands you guys have mentioned except maybe fram)- meaning they won't place too much strain on oil pump in 500 engine? just wondering - i would think its ok but just checking what others think?
I've never seen an automobile that had a filter as small as an atv uses, so I'm gonna take that as they were designed for an atv

·
Registered
184 Posts
The filter for the 500 is the same filter as designed for a Honda Odyssey and a few others, for example. LOTS of cars use these tiny filters.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Specs from Wix on the 51358 that fits some.

Part Number: 51358
UPC Number: 765809513587
Principle Application: Honda Motorcycles + Industrial Engines, I-R, Honda (87-12), Komatsu, Kubota, Kia (95-05), Mercury, Arctic Cat (06-12), Polaris, Yamaha, Infiniti-Nissan (96-13)
Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 2.782
Outer Diameter Top: 2.685
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed:
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20
Burst Pressure-PSI: 265
Max Flow Rate: 8-10 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
The filter for the 500 is the same filter as designed for a Honda Odyssey and a few others, for example. LOTS of cars use these tiny filters.
I stand corrected, but like I said I have never seen a car with a filter that small, and hope I never do

·
Registered
526 Posts
Our filter on the 2003 5.3L GM engine is much smaller than the one on the Polaris.

As was raised in another post flow rates are important in that one would not not to restrict more than the OEM spec oil filter.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Our filter on the 2003 5.3L GM engine is much smaller than the one on the Polaris.

As was raised in another post flow rates are important in that one would not not to restrict more than the OEM spec oil filter.
Did they change? My 04 5.3 filter, AC PF46E is larger in diameter that the filter on my 400HO.

·
Registered
422 Posts

Did they change? My 04 5.3 filter, AC PF46E is larger in diameter that the filter on my 400HO.
My 07.5 GMC 5.3L AFM is small. I run the larger PF63 on it tho. Sorry for getting off topic lol

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The filter on the LS4 5.3L is almost as small as the KN303 I use on my Sportsman and I definitely don't want it any longer.
I'm not happy with the cheaping-out that's been done on the K&N while the price stays the same. I still had one of the older KN303 filters left for this go-round. Next change I'm going to a WIX/NAPA filter.

·
Registered
526 Posts

My 07.5 GMC 5.3L AFM is small. I run the larger PF63 on it tho. Sorry for getting off topic lol
I may be wrong about the size but it is very much smaller than the oil filter size on the 2002 4.3 in the Blazer. Maybe smaller is better finally.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
The 4.3L is the old small block, literally a 350 with the front two cylinders chopped off. Hence that massive filter.
I may be wrong about the size but it is very much smaller than the oil filter size on the 2002 4.3 in the Blazer. Maybe smaller is better finally.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts