Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I use the Pure 14610 and 14612 on my X2 and XP. The shorter one goes on the XP since it hangs out the bottom and the longer one on the X2. I am going to the shorter on both next change and stop thinking about filter media this and filter media that. It is alot easier to go to Wal Mart and get filter and oil at one place.

Ronnie

·
Registered
497 Posts
Anyone know what Purolator or WIX filter crosses for the 700/800 engines? I have an 04 700 and an 08 500 and I know the filters are a little different for the 2. My magnum 325 and 500 both take the same filter though.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I use the Pure 14610 and 14612 on my X2 and XP. The shorter one goes on the XP since it hangs out the bottom and the longer one on the X2. I am going to the shorter on both next change and stop thinking about filter media this and filter media that. It is alot easier to go to Wal Mart and get filter and oil at one place.

Ronnie
Ur right Ronnie, Thanks for turning me onto those Purolator filters. Walk into wal mart. get oil and filters, cheap, and your on your way

·
Registered
497 Posts
Anyone know what Purolator or WIX filter crosses for the 700/800 engines? I have an 04 700 and an 08 500 and I know the filters are a little different for the 2. My magnum 325 and 500 both take the same filter though.
Thanks
Wix 51356 for the 2013 800.

WIX Filters - Products Catalog by Application

51358 for the 500.

Using the above web site I found out that for my 04 700, WIX lists a 51357. I looked up the specs for the 51357(04 700) 51356(13 800) and 51358(08 500) and the only differences listed were the burst pressure PSI and max flow rate gpm. 51357 (280 psi and 9-11 gpm) 51356 (363 PSI and 9-11 gpm) 51358 (265 PSI and 8-10 gpm). All other specs were identical from gasket size and thread size to height and diameter. By pass valve PSI is 8 on all the WIX filters. Now I cross referenced the WIX to Purolator's web site and found all three of the WIX filters cross over to the Purolator PL14610(longer) or PL14612(shorter). Purolator show that they fit numerous cars and mini vans but doesn't list any ATVs. Now Purolator does not give you as detailed a set of specs as WIX but the height and thread size all match (as they should) to the WIX but the Purolator by pass valve PSI is 14-18 where the WIX is 8.

What this tells me is that Polaris basically has the same filter size for all there engines from the 325,400,500,700,800 they just choose to call them different part numbers. I'm not sure what the slightly different max flow rate or burst PSI on the WIX filters will have to do with anything or what difference the higher by pass pressure on the Purolator will do but all these filters are considered interchangeable on one site or the other. I did find a ML16817 filter on the Purolator site that is listed for an 08 500(it was the only Polaris ATV I could get to show an actual filter listed for it. The 700 and 325 showed no results). This filter is shorter than the other Purolator and the WIX filters and shows a by pass PSI of 9-12. Closer to the WIX and less than the other Purolator filters that have car listings. The ML16817 filter also shows fitting a bunch of motorcycles and stationary engines.

I have always liked Purolator filters and run them on all my cars and trucks so I think I'm going to get the Purolator PSL14610 (new synthetic filter) and run those on all three of my Polaris machines.
Thanks WillaimBos for all your help

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Thanks
Wix 51356 for the 2013 800.

WIX Filters - Products Catalog by Application

51358 for the 500.

Using the above web site I found out that for my 04 700, WIX lists a 51357. I looked up the specs for the 51357(04 700) 51356(13 800) and 51358(08 500) and the only differences listed were the burst pressure PSI and max flow rate gpm. 51357 (280 psi and 9-11 gpm) 51356 (363 PSI and 9-11 gpm) 51358 (265 PSI and 8-10 gpm). All other specs were identical from gasket size and thread size to height and diameter. By pass valve PSI is 8 on all the WIX filters. Now I cross referenced the WIX to Purolator's web site and found all three of the WIX filters cross over to the Purolator PL14610(longer) or PL14612(shorter). Purolator show that they fit numerous cars and mini vans but doesn't list any ATVs. Now Purolator does not give you as detailed a set of specs as WIX but the height and thread size all match (as they should) to the WIX but the Purolator by pass valve PSI is 14-18 where the WIX is 8.

What this tells me is that Polaris basically has the same filter size for all there engines from the 325,400,500,700,800 they just choose to call them different part numbers. I'm not sure what the slightly different max flow rate or burst PSI on the WIX filters will have to do with anything or what difference the higher by pass pressure on the Purolator will do but all these filters are considered interchangeable on one site or the other. I did find a ML16817 filter on the Purolator site that is listed for an 08 500(it was the only Polaris ATV I could get to show an actual filter listed for it. The 700 and 325 showed no results). This filter is shorter than the other Purolator and the WIX filters and shows a by pass PSI of 9-12. Closer to the WIX and less than the other Purolator filters that have car listings. The ML16817 filter also shows fitting a bunch of motorcycles and stationary engines.

I have always liked Purolator filters and run them on all my cars and trucks so I think I'm going to get the Purolator PSL14610 (new synthetic filter) and run those on all three of my Polaris machines.
Thanks WillaimBos for all your help
Your welcome!!! I am going to run either Bosch or Puralator too. Can't beat the proce for what you get!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Oil Filter.

Just a short note.I am also a Wix user however my local Car Quest told me that their filters were made buy Wix. I doubted this clam but upon further investigation it was discovered the Car Quest filter uses the same numbering system as Wix.Put in a nut shell, Car Quest oil filters are made but "WIX"

·
Registered
526 Posts
That is good to know about Car Quest. Wix makes the premium NAPA filters as well. I like Wix because where it is for the lawn mower, a tractor or other machine they have the filters for it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I use Napa Gold or Wix Oil Filters. For the price you can't beat them. Also I use Mystik 0W-40 Synthetic motor oil.
I do not think there is a functionally better filter than the WIX or the NAPA Gold twin. Did not know about Mystick 0W-40. Being the old SL spec oil I bet it has some anti wear additives long missing from say SN spec oil.

http://docs.mystiklubes.com/msds_pi/M20080.pdf

https://www.mystiklubes.com/do/product/663079002

Having a Ford and Chevy Big Block with flat tappets I read a lot about phosphorus and zinc levels in oils today. Seriously thinking for get a jug of the 0W-50 racing oil for the zinc and phosphorus for the Polaris engines.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

The 10W-40 High Mileage Mobil 1 is interesting as it has moly too.

After measuring the lobes on the used 2000 325 head we got today and all aspects of the cam still holding new dimension specs it must to have good oil ran in it but do not know its usage history. It would have started out with what ever Polaris was shipping in 2000.

While it if fun to think/talk motor oil it all seems to be very good and that is double true of the synthetics. While we do not know the hours one this complete head it shows no wear that I can measure.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you have a 550 or 850 you need to be aware that the longer filters will stick down below the skid plate and can be destroyed or dislodged on a rock or log. A new 850 long block will cost you right around $6500.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
What does higher levels of zinc & phosphorous do for a

polaris engine? I'm sure it does some good otherwise it wouldn't be there but for the generally oil uniformed how do extra levels of this help out? Its interesting my old porsche (01) calls for mobile 0-40. On the other hand my gfs 06 bmw calls for castrol 10-30, i understand there is quite a diff between castrol and mobil oils, different types altogether. thanks! :hmmm:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts