Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a new to me 08 Polaris sportsman 500 and am needing to repaint an aftermarket front brush guard and metal rails that are on the front and rear storage compartments wanted to get y’all’s opinion on using bedliner spray to recoat them.. I was thinking about going with this..?

So I was thinking about hitting with scotchbrite pad and sanding with about 300 grit and cleaning with a degreaser the. Putting a couple coats on it? Anyone used this and have an opinion on durability and ease of use?

Also needing to recoat some of the frame where rust is trying to take hold any opinions
On good frame and paint for touch up and durability? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
9,196 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Reactions: Uabsleepr

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a pic for reference! Got a lot of work to do but seem so be a solid built machine!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I tried Herculiner on my pickup years back, after a couple years it started to peel, when I started peeling it off it had water trapped beneath it. it was very soft as well.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried Herculiner on my pickup years back, after a couple years it started to peel, when I started peeling it off it had water trapped beneath it. it was very soft as well.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Yeah possibly don’t need that the. I don’t need anything to soft other wise I’m sure briars would take it off pretty quick

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Yeah possibly don’t need that the. I don’t need anything to soft other wise I’m sure briars would take it off pretty quick

Probably gonna just have to keep painting it or have it powder coated.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Nothing specific but yeah Line-X or have it powder coated. Or just keep painting it as paint degrades.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Rustoleum bedliner paint works pretty decent IMO. Easy to use, hides defects, easy to touch up.

Not super durable but even powder coat comes off bumpers.

That's what I painted the bars down the sides of my 850 with. Matches up pretty good with the bumpers that still have OEM paint

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Rustoleum bedliner paint works pretty decent IMO. Easy to use, hides defects, easy to touch up.

I agree, mines powder coated but still chips and will rust there I suppose. Just gotta keep on it!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've used and like Duplicolor brand spray-on bed liner. It works descent as long as you don't get it on too thick. If its put on too thick it will chip off a little to easy in my opinion. It does harden up well. DO NOT GET THE WATER BASED SPRAY ON BED LINER IN THE CANS. THEY SUCK HARRY BALLS ON YA! Get the chemical based sprays.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

That's what I painted the bars down the sides of my 850 with. Matches up pretty good with the bumpers that still have OEM paint
That atv looks great! Love the color! I will look into using that one! What type of prep work did you do before spraying? Like what grit did you sand to ect? Was it previously painted before you put on the rustoleum?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've used and like Duplicolor brand spray-on bed liner. It works descent as long as you don't get it on too thick. If its put on too thick it will chip off a little to easy in my opinion. It does harden up well. DO NOT GET THE WATER BASED SPRAY ON BED LINER IN THE CANS. THEY SUCK HARRY BALLS ON YA! Get the chemical based sprays.
Good to know I will make sure it’s not water based! And that’s good to know about not putting it on to thick! That’s the kinda input I need!

·
Registered
938 Posts
That atv looks great! Love the color! I will look into using that one! What type of prep work did you do before spraying? Like what grit did you sand to ect? Was it previously painted before you put on the rustoleum?

They were previously painted. There were some big holes in them that I welded up so, I painted them afterwards.

Prep work was real minimal. I cleaned them then scuffed with 120 grit then 220. It was cold in the shop so I warmed up the metal then sprayed a few light coats.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
2,126 Posts
Por15

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
2,135 Posts
My neighbor used this in satin black on one of the trailers he built, it looks good and appears to be holding up very well.
Liquid Plant Automotive tire Drink Bottle

·
Registered
36 Posts
I used the duplicolor bedliner spray on the same front guard and my rims probably 8 or 9 years ago. In the middle of touching them up right now for the first time. If you do it right, it holds up very well. I recommend.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bed liner stuff is great but there is a big difference in quality and longevity between stuff in a can and professional stuff. I like the "hammered" paint, it looks amazing, did parts in my boat with it, just don't apply in the heat or sun.
Prep is important, use a metal "chemical etching" I forget what the acid type it is but there are a bunch of brand names and labels but its all the same chemical. Easiest way to find it is its pontoon boat pontoon cleaner.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts