Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 850 is great I love it, the power and everything. Im curious to What are the best performance mods for a sportsman 850 xp. How much better do some of these mods make it run.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sounds like clutching, exhaust and programmer, air intake etc...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Agree with the tires. It's amazing what tires will do, beyond looking better. Me and my brother have the same machines, but he runs stock tires. We were riding through some very wet forest on his property, he couldn't get anywhere and I was just plowing along over trees and through the muck.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Tires for sure, but the rest depends on what you want, top end, mud, or rock crawling...

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Clutching is by far your best modification.

CW

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in Alaska and use my 850 for riding up to mountain tops and for hunting. Also use it running back and fourth to work and running errands. Gonna plow snow with it this winter. What would be a good all around clutch kit for these. I was thinking about putting on an exhaust but with the optimizer s and tuning. Just don't seem worth it.

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
I think that exhaust with the optimizer and tuning is about the most over hyped, under performing mod for the money. The ratio of $$$/gain is extremely high. Lot's of money, not much gained, other than a lot of noise. Tires and a clutch kit will give you a WAY better return on your money.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I do all my builds around what tires I run. It's by far the best choice for the first upgrade.

Typically clutch (springs & weights or full primary/secondary swap), air filter, slip on exhaust, etc... comes next.

Also, there are a ton of these threads. Helping the community understand the type of riding you do will get you a more specific answer.

·
Registered
270 Posts
X 6-8 ( lost track) on the tires, lol!!!! The more horsepower you have on tap, the more traction is required & these boost a lot of HP's!! Just yesterday I was climbing a sand pit wall in two wheel drive, halfway up I punched the throttle & it hooked up so much it left me with no steering as the front end lifted!!! I had a hard time making it up in 4wd with the stock tires before!!
More hp + more power transferred to the ground (clutch kit) + more traction = MORE FUN FACTOR, wuhoooooooooooooo!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts