Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have hauled my 570 a few times on short little trips but I might be taking it several hundred miles on the interstate. I have a 6x10 aluminum trailer and a 4 door jeep wrangler. Is it better to pull it all the way to the front and tie it tight there or keep it more over the axle and tie it down there? All my long distance hauling experience was with my snow mobile trailer and it had specific tie down points so there was no guess work. How do you guys do yours????

·
Registered
73 Posts
I’d make sure you have enough tongue weight but not too much. A good rule of thumb I’ve always used is if the rear of the tow vehicle is sagging just a slight bit and the trailer is level, you should be good. If not you may need to readjust your hitch height to get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
What he said....You want the right amount of tongue weight and the trailer balanced. You will know within a few miles if it isn't right.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
put a scale under the tongue jack, and use that to determine your tongue weight.

Know the limits of your tow vehicle (especially when it comes to tongue weight on a short wheelbase vehicle) and don't exceed them.

A lot of the positioning will have to do with the axle positioning on the trailer, in regards to the deck & how long your tongue actually is. pics would be helpful, but my guess is you probably want the engine just in front of the axle, so probably not all the way to the front of the trailer.

·
Super Moderator
6,952 Posts
Pull it on forward and put the rear axle over the trailer axle. Just remember that more tongue weight is better than less tongue weight. A single atv on a 6x10 trailer, you could pull it all the way forward and not worry about too much weight on the tongue.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a 7' x 12' trailer, and when carrying one ATV I pull it straight on and center it...maybe a tad bit more forward than back.

·
Super Moderator
6,952 Posts
Remember to remove your seat before open trailering.

And remove the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For sure remove the key. Someone once said that his key never fell out while riding, so why would it fall out when on the trailer....??? :pat: :thinking: :biglaugh:
A simple bungee strap over the seat will keep it in place while trailering. No need to remove it unless you really want to.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a 7' x 12' trailer, and when carrying one ATV I pull it straight on and center it...maybe a tad bit more forward than back.
Why do ya remove the seat? I haul mine in the back of my truck and never remove the seat.
Seats are expensive! Polaris 2686695-070 seat $330.00. Both mine are side loaded and even with 2 bungee cords on highway I can see them puffing up and lifting a little. They can easily lift and blow off. Also wouldn’t want to be liable for it hitting car behind and causing an accident.

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
I have hauled multiple machines frontwards and side loaded for thousands of miles. I have seen them puff up but never lost one. I have heard/seen here where some have lost their seat so I think I am gonna start strapping them a bit to make sure. Frontwards I don't worry too much, but side loaded isn't the way the air is supposed to go across the machine.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sure would suck heading out for a ride and the realizing your seat is gone. Then maybe a call from State Police asking if you lost your seat. Takes a minute to bungee them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I side load mine and trailer almost every other weekend from deep in lower Michigan to northern Michigan or the UP travenging up US127 and I75 at 80 to 85 miles per hour in all types of wind coditions, even to the point where they close the Mackinaw bridge. While I always see the vinyl seat covering fluttering in the wind the seat itself remains firmly fastened. I've never lost a seat or reached my destination finding my seat has come loose from the frame. Also, in all my travels I've never seen any seats laying on the shoulder of the road. While I'm not saying no one has ever lost a seat trailering, I think this lost seat thing has grown to the proportions of an urban legend.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Why do ya remove the seat? I haul mine in the back of my truck and never remove the seat.
I don't take the seat off of my Can Am, but I have started taking the Polaris seat off, or strapping it down. The Polaris seat just snaps in and doesn't take much effort to pull off at all. A lot of other ATV seats have a lever that has to be pulled to get the seat off.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the input. I went this morning and had an extra key made, because when I got my machine brand new I put the spare key someplace that I wouldn't lose it............I'm sure Ill find it one of these days so technically I haven't lost it yet, lol. I had already thought about taking the seat off as I remember reading about a couple people who lost theirs. It so easy to take off it's not worth the risk to not do it.
I'm curious to see how the 4 door wrangler does. My trailer is aluminum so I will be well under the 3500 lbs max tow rating. When I ordered it I got 3.73 gears instead of the stock 3.21's because I knew from time to time I would be pulling my bike. I didn't want to go with 4.10's because I don't plan on a lift or anything and knew I wouldn't trailer often enough to have those.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I side load mine and trailer almost every other weekend from deep in lower Michigan to northern Michigan or the UP travenging up US127 and I75 at 80 to 85 miles per hour in all types of wind coditions, even to the point where they close the Mackinaw bridge. While I always see the vinyl seat covering fluttering in the wind the seat itself remains firmly fastened. I've never lost a seat or reached my destination finding my seat has come loose from the frame. Also, in all my travels I've never seen any seats laying on the shoulder of the road. While I'm not saying no one has ever lost a seat trailering, I think this lost seat thing has grown to the proportions of an urban legend.
Tell that to hogn99. https://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-sportsman-570/158938-new-seat-570-a.html

·
Registered
519 Posts
And another:
So about 6 months ago a few of us were heading to PA for customer appreciation weekend in Dunmore PA lost trails, my buddy had his quad serviced before we left and we got half way there it was pitch black and I saw something in the road... Unfortunately I had 4 Quads on my trailer so I couldn't swerve quick enough and blasted something that felt like a speed bump at 70mph, I didn't want to even look at my truck so we kept moving, got to PA and I said hey I ran over something on the way up but I don't see any damage sweet! The next Morning someone was missing a seat on their quad.... My buddy's who were a few miles ahead had lost his seat on the highway and I had run it over.... Not a good start when your about to ride for the day.. Anyways my fun story he had a 2015 sportsman 570... Ended up spending 350 on a 17' seat we begged the salesman at NorthAmerican Wore horse dealer... The point of all this A 2017 seat fits a 2015 sportsman, part number is diff and seat looks and feels different, BUT IT FITS-Farone

1 - 20 of 29 Posts