Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wanting a camera for riding for quite a while now. I want something with really clear video. Been leaning toward GoPro. Any other recomendations or preferences.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I like the GoPro's to. Will be purchasing one soon. Great HD camera.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I have a Contour Roam HD. No complaints from me. and WAY cheaper than a GoPro.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
If you've got the coin, go with go pro. The hero 3 has improved quite a bit on the 2, but the 2 still takes great video and you can often times find them cheap online.

I haven't used the contour so I cannot comment on it.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I have a contour 1080p and a gopro hero 3. I like the form factor of the contour much better, as it is sleeker and easier to use, but for pure video quality (after mounting both of them and recording the same rides), the Gopro renders video better...better color saturation, color balance...just a bit better overall. The mounting options for the GP are more varied and more solid (there is no rocking or movement at all with a GP mounted correctly). I use the Contour for hunting now, and still like it, but the GP hype is justified imo

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah ive heard good things about the Contour cameras. But the versatility and different mounting options of the GoPro and the great video that it takes are really what Im going for. I haven't known anyone with a Contour so ive never seen video first hand from one just stuff on Youtube.

·
Registered
226 Posts
contour is out of business :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well I guess that's out of the equation then lol

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am sure u could get a real good deal on one of them but the tech support and spare parts woudnt be so nice to find :ponder::ponder:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah agreed. ill be getting a gopro soon. wish I had one earlier, could've caught some sick stuff on video.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have 3 gopro's I have a gopro 2, a gopro 3 black and gopro 3 silver. If you have any questions or concerns about them just PM me. I will answer any question I can too help you out on which one is best for you.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I checked the contour site today and they still had stuff up for sale. I thought I heard they were out of business too.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Drift Ghost HD here. I prefer the form factor, the included LCD screen, the rotating lens, the great battery life and excellent visual remote. I mounted mine on top of helmet. I also grabbed the Wasabi battery kit with two 1900mah batts for bout $30.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Well I like my Go Pro. My complaints are large file size (that's the cost of quality). And lo batt life. But if I do what I'm supposed to its actually plenty. I carry a half a doz batteries and a charger. So I re charge I the machine while riding. So two is really plenty.

I mount it in a couple differ t locations so I get differ et angles. I recie fly bought the wifi back. This will allow remote on/off as well as viewing of pics and vids on my iPhone instantly.

I just bought a used one from another guy here for my pop. Good cameras!! The go pro three comes with the wifi IINM

Cw

·
Registered
5 Posts
Every suggestions here so far is not bad per say, but all the choices described are all a little bit different in how they execute and what not. Choose what it is you are looking for when you say best and then create an suggested choice from there.
However, I have gopro. Work very well for me.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Been wanting a camera for riding for quite a while now. I want something with really clear video. Been leaning toward GoPro. Any other recomendations or preferences.
I use a GoPro. A BatteryPac is recommended as well. Got a friend that uses a Drift but the GoPro is slightly better. These are the cheapest options.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I like my gopro but hate the interface with it a screen of some sort to see what is going on wether its just now if its taping it does have a blinking light but I have messed up thought had it on but didnt and didnt tape anything but the quality is great and they are pretty rugged

·
Registered
470 Posts
I almost went with a GoPro Hero 3 Black because they are clearancing them out now and there are some very good deals to be found. But I forgot one other thing that tilted me to the Ghost and that is the video-tagging feature. Basically, you can have the camera recording all the time without actually saving. When something cool happens, you 'tag' the video and it goes back in time for a predetermined time (seconds up to ten minutes) then it keeps recording for the same amount of time into the future. This keeps you from ever missing something while at the same time, it doesn't use all your recording space.

For pure HD video quality, the edge goes to the GoPro Black. But, for all the reasons of form factor and such I set out above, I decided to go with the Ghost. I think either are great choices.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Love the GoPro...the video quality is awesome as I used it quite a bit on my last ride in all conditions....can't comment on the others but when I was researching all signs pointed towards GoPro so that was the direction I went. I think I have the Hero 2. Be sure to have big MicroSD cards as they fill up fast. I had 16gb cards and filled 2 of them over three full days of riding. Wish I would have gone with 32 or 64gbs...as they are hard to keep track of especially when you have lots of them and they are so fricken small.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts