Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up an '02 Sportsman 90 for our 7 yr old son in the late fall. We had our first snow of the season (16"!!) After I plowed the driveway I got out his wheeler to let him have some fun. NOT! He's a lightweight at maybe 60 lbs with winter gear & helmet. All he could do was sit and spin. I pushed him to get it rolling but 1 trip to the end of the drive (300 ft) and back was about it.
So I climbed on behind him and still spun quite a bit. The drive is gravel except for the parking pad so there's still an inch or 2 of slippery stuff as a base. It currently has Duro brand tires, I couldn't find a model name on the tire but the pics I found online they may be "red eagles". They have 2 rows of long lugs that angle towards the center. I haven't tried swapping from side to side so as to reverse the lug direction.
ANYWAYS...I need a recommendation for a good snow tire for a 2wd wheeler.
Tire selection is kind of limited. Stock size is 18 x 9.5 - 8
OR would I be better of putting chains on? He's primarily gonna ride the driveway & areas I've pushed the snow out of the way. I'd really like if he could ride on the paths he'll be making soon with his 120 snowmobile.
Thanks

·
Registered
993 Posts
16" of snow, there's nothing going to get that little thing through snow that deep. Chains will be your best bet, but if he has a sled why worry about the wheeler till spring?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Firts..... Hello and Welcome fellow Minnesotan! :wave:

As for the Sportsman 90 & snow tires...... I'd run to your nearest Fleet Farm and pick up a set of tire chains!!! That will be our best bet!! However, I doubt it will dig itself through the center of the yard and the 12-16" of sticky snow you guys got down that way earlier this week.

Boy didn't that snow fall feel like a dose..... Hello Minnesota!! :wave: :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
16" of snow, there's nothing going to get that little thing through snow that deep. Chains will be your best bet, but if he has a sled why worry about the wheeler till spring?
That's why I said he'd be primarily riding on the driveway & plowed areas.
And because he likes to do what Dad does, so I figured he'd enjoy zipping around on the wheeler while I'm out plowing etc.
Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Firts..... Hello and Welcome fellow Minnesotan! :wave:

As for the Sportsman 90 & snow tires...... I'd run to your nearest Fleet Farm and pick up a set of tire chains!!! That will be our best bet!! However, I doubt it will dig itself through the center of the yard and the 12-16" of sticky snow you guys got down that way earlier this week.

Boy didn't that snow fall feel like a dose..... Hello Minnesota!! :wave: :D
Thanks for the response. That's a good idea, I've got a FF pretty close to work.
I just wondered if a "turf" type tread pattern float on top as opposed to the luggy type pattern it has now?

·
Registered
993 Posts
While a turf type tire will have more surface area on the ground for more traction they still won't do very well in the snow. Chains are the way to go.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Well, my daughter has just turned 8 in August and her 340 indy is still to big for her. I wasn't really thinking when I bought it and restored it for her, because it's a 91 indy lite 340. Well I bought the first year of the 340 and it has no chain case so mods are very limited, plus it has a cable ran brake system which is not made for a kid, so she hasn't really drove it much by herself yet. She really likes spinning cookies on her wheeler though and riding with me on the sled or wheeler. We will see what this winter brings. Kinda late for buying a smaller sled for her.

·
Registered
26 Posts
my 2 cents, if you are riding on hard pack or ice kold kutter screws! past 2 years I have put about 150 in each kids machine and the improvement is unreal! get the short small ones and remove them in the spring. I think if they tore one or two out a machine it would be a stretch. kids are so light they don't even wear much. took me a total of 3 hours to install and remove. saved them for this year also.

I also toss them in the wife's 330 trail boss, I think they were 1/2" (next size up) never ripped out either. and no tire sealant or tubes. screw in, and screw out with descent tires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
just remember the more you put in the less stress on the others, you don't want to get crazy but get enough to keep them from tearing out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just remember the more you put in the less stress on the others, you don't want to get crazy but get enough to keep them from tearing out.
Thanks for the info on the Kold Kutters.
I think no matter what, I should start with some sort of new tire.
I'll try to post a pic of what I'm working with & the direction the lugs are facing looking from the rear. I'm sure there's a better tire to start with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cubby, I hear ya on the not quite ready deal.
I wanted to hold up a few seasons and just get the wife a 2-up. But her & Grandpa had their own plan & went halfsies on the 120.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think I attached a pic, same tires as my sportsman 90 this is the pattern I put them in the rear. also did the same in the front.

Last year I only put them in the rear to begin with and they bite so hard the kids couldn't turn!

on the rear the (screw slots on Kold Kutters line through the center) goes horizontal and in the front they go vertical. this makes the rears bite better for accel and the front to bite better in turns, make sense?

click on the picture to enlarge it and you can see the dots I marked it with. As you can see it isn't a ton of them but makes a world of difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
get a box of short self tappers. do both the front and rear tires. maybe air down the tires as well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts