Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Sportsman 850 XP HO Orange Madness. I'm checking around to see which tire and wheel Combo will look good and will handle the trail riding I do mostly in mountains in Ky and occasionally going thru mud holes. Right now I have stock tires and rim at front 26x8x14 and rear 26x10x14. I'm thinking of going maybe 27 or 28. Look forward to hear from y'all and help me decide on which one to get for this ATV.

Thanks in advance!

Here's the picture of my ATV.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381205647.976616.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
460 Posts
I am interested in hearing some opinions on this as well!

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
If you want or need to keep it 50" wide or less, then there is only one aftermarket wheel to choose from. It's the STI HD2. Tire choices are endless.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If you want or need to keep it 50" wide or less, then there is only one aftermarket wheel to choose from. It's the STI HD2. Tire choices are endless.
Yup, I ended up back on my stock rims due to the aftermarkets being too wide for the trails and my trailer.

If your going to be a primary trail rider an 8 ply radial will be the best option for you. There are lots of opinions and options out there so be ready for everyone to say theirs is the best. I do like my ITP Mudlight XTR's as they do a little better in the mud but are a heavier tire and take away some top end but I only race up to like 60-70 on the straight aways anyway and then your just cruising after that. If I were to buy a more trail only tire i think I would do the grim reapers, Kenda Bearclaw HTR, or Pitbull Rockers... But I do think the XTR's are a good combo tire for both, SO good luck in your decision and prepare your head for some spinning, LOL.. :bam:

·
Registered
96 Posts
i just went with ss 216 and blackwaters man those are some nasty ass tires pics dont do them justice till you see them in person

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Yep, going to get a thousand answers.
I think the better question to ask is what tires to avoid. There are a lot of good tire choices out there.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very happy with my 28" Zilla's 11's on the back 9's on the front. They're light, have enough claw for the mud while still having a pretty smooth ride on the trails.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
i just went with ss 216 and blackwaters man those are some nasty ass tires pics dont do them justice till you see them in person
Those do look like a nice 8-ply tire, are they pretty solid in the mud? Holy crap are they spendy, I just did a quick search and they appear to be around $170+/tire for 27", DOH!

·
Registered
112 Posts
X2 On the Gream Reapers recommended below. Now, because they are not produced anymore by GBC in 26", you can find stock at a much lower price. I just purchased two full sets of four for about $85 a tire average (free shipping)...

Sizes are 26x9R14 and 26x11R14. Don't see any reason to increase diameter...

Yup, I ended up back on my stock rims due to the aftermarkets being too wide for the trails and my trailer.

If your going to be a primary trail rider an 8 ply radial will be the best option for you. There are lots of opinions and options out there so be ready for everyone to say theirs is the best. I do like my ITP Mudlight XTR's as they do a little better in the mud but are a heavier tire and take away some top end but I only race up to like 60-70 on the straight aways anyway and then your just cruising after that. If I were to buy a more trail only tire i think I would do the grim reapers, Kenda Bearclaw HTR, or Pitbull Rockers... But I do think the XTR's are a good combo tire for both, SO good luck in your decision and prepare your head for some spinning, LOL.. :bam:

·
Registered
96 Posts
yea they are not cheap i got tires and rims for 990.00 that was every thing shipping mounting lug nuts ect. about a hundred more than big horns from rocky mountain atv
but for what i do they work good back country remote areas lots of sharp rocks and grease wood ect

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've had real good luck with the Mudlite XTR's on the stock wheel's...6 ply radial that's good for all around use. A little heavy and pricey but they are worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've narrowed down to 3 tires. The Big Horn 2.0, Ripsaw and Swamp lite. I'm thinking of going up to 28" from stock size 26". I will have it clutched when I do go up to 28". Just stuck between those 3 tires. Which tire is actually exactly same size as advertised or is higher or lower as advertised? Thinking of keeping stock rims for now on my 2012 Sportsman 850 XP HO EPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I think it wise to keep the stock rims and not increase your width. Part of the reason I bought the le is bec the OEM rims look nice so all you have to add is sneakers. Big horns run true to size.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm wondering what's the true size of 28" Ripsaw tire and 28" Swamp lite tire? Anyone have picture of those 28" Ripsaw tire , Swamp Lite or Big Horn on their ATV?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I checked Sedona Ripsaw website and your right they have it up to 27". So this means I narrow down the tires to Swamp Lite and Big Horn. What's the difference between Big Horn and Big Horn 2.0?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wonder if I get the 27" ripsaw tire, Am I getting 27" out of it?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts