Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is always asked and I've read a thousand posts about it, but I need input on a set of tires.

I would say my main application is trail riding. I encounter lots of steep hills and at this point the ground is fairly soft and slippery. I want great climbing traction and side hill traction would be a nice plus although I try to avoid side hilling. Utmost importance is a great trail tire, but I'd like to get as good of a mud tire as possible without sacrificing trail performance. I also want a radial tire, going on 14 inch rims, in 26 to 27 inch.

Here are some tires I have considered: mud lite xtr's, terra cross, big horns, Spartacus, and pitbull growlers 2.5. I kind of have growlers at the top of my list, but I have a hook up from a friend that has a parts unlimited account. I should be able to get them at 5% above cost so that leaves maxxis, and itp. I'm not sure what kind of savings I'll get, but if it's significant I can't see buying the growlers.

Thanks in advance. I have few more questions, but I'll wait for people to chime in here or I may start another thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Maxxis Bighorns 2.0

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How is the mud performance I've heard it's pretty terrible? What about wet hills and trails, will these dig in or slide?

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
The Growlers would give you the best lateral traction. I have several thousand miles on Bighorn originals and I believe they are the best all around tire you can put on your atv. They hold their own in mud with any other non mud specific tire. As a trail tire they are tough to beat. Just put mine back on my 850 in preparation for my trip to Moab next month.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
How is the mud performance I've heard it's pretty terrible? What about wet hills and trails, will these dig in or slide?

They dig in pretty well..VERY PLEASED!!!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Maxxis Bighorns. Steep hills usually dry out pretty fast due to water run off so not much mud there. At least in my neck of the woods. When all else feels just throw some bighorns on it. You will be pleased, especially if most of your riding is trail riding. They last for ever and dig great. Good luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you're set on sticking with radials, look in to interco radial reptiles or gbc grim reapers

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm kind if ruling out big horns. Pretty poor mud performance from what I've read compared to other trail tires.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just put a set of Outlaw MSTs. Haven't had a chance to really test yet. I took a quick spin on hard pack and they are smooth as butter. They are bias ply, not radial. I did a lot of research before I bought and I ride in similar conditions as you've described.

Thor recommends GBC Grimm Reapers:
Grim Reaper Tires old vs new

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
check out the reviews on the STI Black diamond XTR's great all around trail tires. though some people with 14" rims have had issues with them. Radial as well.

I've got the ATR's which are a shallower tread by 3/8" but I've been Very please with their performance both on the trail and the mud.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Me and my buddy both got new tires, me (bighorns) and him (grim reapers), Id go with the Grim Reapers all day. He walks up stuff I have issues with, in N. Ga terrain. Hills w/ mud, rocks and roots.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts