Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have a 2013 Polaris Sportsman 500. Currently it has stock wheels and tires, but I expect to upgrade to slightly larger/wider in the next couple years. I have a 4x7 gated utility trailer that I used to haul the Sportsman all summer. It's simply too narrow. Every time I pull the Sportsman on or off the trailer, I get the back wheels hung up on the sides. It's become quite a hassle, and it's actually bent the lip of the wheels in several places. I'm in the process of selling the trailer to get something wider. I want to get something wide enough that it will fit the Polaris, or any other ATV in the future, even with wider wheels. At the same time, I don't need overkill. Currently, I'm trying to decide between a 5x8 or a 6x8. Locally, there is a significant price different between the two sizes. Is anybody running a tire combo that would be tight on a 5 foot wide trailer? I'm leaning towards a 5 foot, but I don't want to end up in this situation again.

-Thanks

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
5 foot is plenty wide. Stock width of a 500 is 48" which is why you are barely fitting on a 4' wide trailer.
x 2 on this. It would take one hell of a tire spacer rim combo to increase your width by 12". I have a 5x8 and mine fits perfectly. Even if I added offset rims or spacers I would have plenty of room on either side.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Depends on when you plan to buy your second Polaris or make the move to SxS!

Seriously though, remember that a lot of what you pay will come back to you in resale. Not to mention all the functional other uses you will find with a landscape trailer type, around here, they're all sold in a day. 6x10 landscape trailer will pick up anything you need, plywood, sheetrock, your 30 year old daughter moving back home, whatever.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I like a 8.5x12 trailer with a side and back gate.

For several reasons. You can haul two atv's. It is still small and light enough to be practical for hauling one atv. you can easily fit a side by side on it if you ever sold out and got one.

Plus in my opinion, it's an all around more useable size. Just my .02

·
Registered
6 Posts
You may not want to eliminate the option of a bigger trailer that won't cost that much more - I went with a Newman 1ATV78-1I. 7' x 8' - easy to straight load my 850 touring. Two 850's sit side by side (barely), but ride well with proper tie downs. A lot more flexibility. Trailer weighs 380lbs dry, with 1800lb carrying capacity. Look for a used one, or a leftover - there are a few of them around.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I second csurane24 lol my scrambler fits perfect in my truck. got about 4-5 inches on both sides. its not a sportsman so that obviously wouldn't be the case for you. love the convenience of the truck though plus no room for a trailer at home.

·
Registered
134 Posts
On Saturday I'll be able to tell you how well a sportsman fits in the back of a short bed GMC 3/4 ton with a tool box. I'm hoping I don't have to take the box out yet. Gotta do a dry run before I take it out Sunday

·
Registered
94 Posts
my buddy hauls his grizzly in the back of his truck with a toolbox in. his rear tires are on the tailgate. not sure the size difference between a grizzly and a sportsman but im sure its close. as long as you have a strap that you trust to hold it in it should be good.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I use a modern sled trailer (8.5 x 10) mainly because I also use it for sleds. But once I went to a wheel kit on my touring it was a bit too wide for the pickup wheel wells.

I like it because it will fit 2 ATV's when I need it and if I ever make the move to a side by side it would handle one of those easily.

·
Registered
361 Posts
^^^^X2
I use the same. I can fit 2 sportsmans and a smaller 4x4 or sport quad on the back sideways.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I got a northern tool 5x8 trailer. If you have only one bike it is the best for the money. I welded a hook on the front and the back for the straps. I also cut off 1 foot of the tail gate. Best thing is that I can haul my atv and then tow the trailer behind my atv to haul all of my camping gear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use my Chilton trailer 5x8 with wood sides and rear gate. The gate does have some wind resistance, but to me the extra gas money is worth the safety factor if straps would ever let loose. Sportsmans fit on here perfect, but not much extra room to put other things. I cleaned it up with some fresh paint and stain when I got my new 550 this year.

·
Registered
615 Posts
What about something like this?

·
Registered
294 Posts
My 850 has aftermarket Polaris wheels and 26" Bighorns, I also have a 5x8 tilt trailer with channels welded on the inside rear for a small gate to close off the rear. My XP barely fits between those two factory installed channels. I scrub them from time to time and am afraid that I will rip a sidewall one of these days so I'm getting ready to upgrade to a 6x10.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the help. So far it sounds like a 5x8 would meet my needs, although a 6x8 would be nice. I've limited in how much space I have to store the trailer. Does anybody know how wide the 6x8 utility trailers actually are from fender to fender?

-Thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
If I can get my schedule worked out to pick it up, I can give you a measurement sometime this weekend after I get mine.

A 5x8 will work fine so long as you watch your side clearance to the tires if you go with more wheel offset and the trailer has the channels for a gate like mine does.

I am also going to a trailer with a wood floor as opposed to the metal mesh like I have now. The mesh is great for mud to fall through if you wash the atv off on the trailer but the XP's are so heavy, the floor has started to sag at all 4 tires. It has happened quickly too, maybe being hauled a dozen times if that. If you opt for the mesh, I would suggest bolting down a couple of 2x10 or 12's down the length for the tires to run and rest on like I have seen someone else on here do.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts