Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just looking to get a winch for my 2014 Polaris Sportsman 400 HO. I've always heard good things about Warn winches and I'm leaning towards that, but I have been thinking of leaning towards a cheaper one. Any opinions? The Warn ones are some of the more expensive ones, and being a high school student, budget is in my mind. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
7,033 Posts
WARN is top of the line for winches. However, even a cheap one is better than nothing if that is what fits your budget. On the other hand, if you plan on using it a lot for heavy work, such as pulling yourself or other machines, it may be a good idea to start saving for a better winch. If you just want to use it for a plow I wouldn't hesitate to go cheap. If you are going to depend on it to get back to the truck, spend a little more on something you won't have to worry about.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much. I think I will stick with either the WARN winch, or perhaps a Polaris brand winch itself. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
9,771 Posts
Look at the Warn vantage line. The vantage models are less expensive and don't come with all the bells and whistles as a pro-vantage but u still get the meat and potatoes that the Warn brand is made with. 2000-2500lbs. is the minimum winch size u will want to go with.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Warn is way over priced.

Get a Viper, superwinch, or badlands. They are all a fraction of the price of a warn, and will pull you out of the same holes. Go with at least a 2500lb!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
As stated.... Warn (average $300-500+'ish range) would be the "BEST" money can buy, on the "GOOD - BETTER - BEST" scale!!

But if your looking for a "decent winch" and are "budget conscious", then I'd think most would recommend winches in about this order...... a Moto Alliance Viper (average $250-400'ish range) is in the "BETTER" category. Followed by the SuperWinch (average $200-350'ish range) as another "BETTER" and even a Pure Polaris but they are priced in the "upper crust" like a Warn (with an average $300-500+'ish range). But don't forget about the Harbor Freight Badland #3500 Winch (average $130-150 range w/ coupon & sale) as a "GOOD" option!!

Then on most any winch purchase you'll also want to remember the "Mounting Bracket" (average $45-70'ish range).

I most recently went with the following on our recent RZR purchase.... A "Harbor Freight Badland #3500" (Regular $199.99 on Sale Price of $149.99 and with a 20% off online printed coupon = $130!!) and was able to score a "Moto Alliance - Scratch & Dent Mounting Bracket" (Regular $45.00 on Scratch & Dent Sale Price = $27.00!!) Many have rated the Harbor Freight Badland #3500 with good to great reviews..... and I'd have to say it appears to be a good product after review while unboxing and installation. I figured with good reviews and my un-likelihood of it's continuous or heavy use (as the RZR was mainly purchased for my Wife and Daughter to cruise the trails in), that it would be a great budget conscious insurance plan!!!

Just remember.... when searching for a winch, make sure you find one with a "Load Brake". Which keeps the cable/rope from unspooling under tension or load!! Also, if you do decide to go with the Harbor Freight Badland, at a minimum go with the 3500 lbs. model (which has the load brake mentioned)!!

Good Luck with your Winch decision!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
A polaris branded Warn would be my last choice, a Warn my 2nd to last. The favorite winch threads are a lot like favorite tire threads, everybody has an opinion and they are probably most all valid based on individual experience. My experience with Warn has not been that great. I had one great experience with a Superwinch Terra 3500 on my last machine and would try them again if my current winch that came with the machine bites the dust. Regardless of brand I'm a fan of installing synthetic rope if it doesn't come with it. For those winches that have enough of a gap on the sides of the spool to get a winch line wedged in, the synthetic will wind much more uniformly lessening the chance of that issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I was to get a Viper 3500 winch (
), would I also have to buy a mounting kit? I saw in the comments people saying the winch fit perfectly, and was just looking to find out before hand. If I do need a mounting kit, would this one do the job? [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Polaris-2011-14-Sportsman-Winch-Mount/dp/B00HZO8AAQ/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1425348755&sr=8-14&keywords=polaris+winch+mounting+kit[/ame]

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
If I was to get a Viper 3500 winch (Amazon.com: Limited Edition VIPER MIGNIGHT SERIES 3500lb ATV/UTV Winch with BLACK Synthetic Rope: Automotive), would I also have to buy a mounting kit? I saw in the comments people saying the winch fit perfectly, and was just looking to find out before hand. If I do need a mounting kit, would this one do the job? http://www.amazon.com/Polaris-2011-14-Sportsman-Winch-Mount/dp/B00HZO8AAQ/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1425348755&sr=8-14&keywords=polaris+winch+mounting+kit
Yes it would, but this is a one piece design that I bought for my Viper for less money.

Amazon.com: KFI Products 100740 Winch Mount for Polaris Sportsman XP: Automotive

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
So what are you going to go with...... :dunno: :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've owned warn, mile marker and currently viper. Never had a problem with any of them. Just get synthetic rope

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm still considering the Warn Vantage 2000, but I think I'm leaning towards the Viper 3500LB Synthetic, since everyone seems to agree that synthetic rope is great. They're both around $200, which isn't too bad

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm still considering the Warn Vantage 2000, but I think I'm leaning towards the Viper 3500LB Synthetic, since everyone seems to agree that synthetic rope is great. They're both around $200, which isn't too bad

This is what I'm running on my SP800

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Nope, not bad at all! If you go Viper..... give Ryan (Ridinagain / Member & Vendor here) @ RVS Performance a call/email. He may have a good deal (new-open, but never used return) sitting on the shelf.... wink, wink!! ;) ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just picked up 3000lb smittybilt locally for $150 I read some pretty good things about the winches they offer. seems like a solid unit, some of the cheaper lower LB winches do not have an automatic braking system. This one does and for its price I felt its kinda like a sore peter, you cant beat it. I did have to get the kfi mount for my sportsman and it fit the machine very nice once again good buy!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope, not bad at all! If you go Viper..... give Ryan (Ridinagain / Member & Vendor here) @ RVS Performance a call/email. He may have a good deal (new-open, but never used return) sitting on the shelf.... wink, wink!! ;) ;)
Just send him a private message, thank you!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts