Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. I am considering the purchase of a Sportsman X2 and was wondering what other users thought would be the best year model to get. I am converting over from early King quads, so having run 280cc engines for a while, any engine in these models/years will be an improvement power-wise.
Additionally, what year was ETS introduced to this model, and what were suspension changes, etc.
Thanks!!!
I have searched but to no avail.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have a 2011 550X2 on the XP chassis, its a bit high maintenance (Wheels bearings, bushings, etc), but for the most part I have been happy with it. EPS first came to the X2 in 2013 if I remember correctly, although I added it to my 2011 with a hefty pricetag (Over $1200 in parts)

Before 2010, the X2 was on the original sportsman chassis, which was well regarded, with alot of different engine options, from 500's all the way to 800's, with no Power Steering.

In 2010, the X2 was switched to the XP chassis, which is a bit more "Plush" and unfortunately more high maintenance. The X2 was on this chassis from 2010 to 2014, with the 550 engine being standard, and the 850 being optional from 2010-2012 (It was dropped in 2013) EPS was added as a standard option in 2013.

In 2015, the X2 switched from the XP chassis to the value line chassis, with the only engine option being the 570, and EPS is standard.

Any of the engines in the X2 have plenty of power for the machine. The X2 is also the only ATV anymore to have "Turf Mode" which in my opinion is one of the biggest selling points to me, it really makes it handle nice on the sections of paved roads we have to ride on.

The XP chassis has Independent rear suspension with dual a arm front suspension, all other models have macpherson strut front suspension and independent rear suspension.

Reactions: Corbett1973

·
Registered
251 Posts
Very pleased with the 2016 570 X2 so far

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies!!! I really want power steering, so 2013 and up seems to be the ticket.
What is high maintenance on the XP vs, the value line chassis?
I'm not sold on MacPherson struts on the front of the new ones.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Am I crazy, or did the picture of the battery location on a 2012 550 x2 show the battery laying on it's side???

·
Registered
755 Posts
Here we go, I'm digging up an old thread, newly interested in this 850 X2 Le, looking for info and a machine to buy, thanks for looking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts