Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2012 polaris 850 xp eps ho has 2400 miles just exploded i was driving down my lane at about 15 mph when it locked up took it to dealer they tore the motor down found a broken valve, smashed the piston to pieces put holes in the head bent a connecting rod damaged the block probably beyond repair this atv has never been swamped, i have a sxs for that anybody else have this happen i tried to get goodwill warranty for some of it but polaris customer care said no over the years i had 14 polaris sleds and 9 atvs so much for customer care

·
Registered
214 Posts
DANG !!!! Sorry to hear that

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
That sucks..... but they are all machines, and bound to fail at some point.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Been several of these cases of engine failure around here. Most had the extended warranty and service records and the repair was covered under that extended warranty.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Wonder what the percentage is...........riders with issues vs riders without?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
^^^.. Good question.. I think if motors were detonating consistently you'd see it all over this forum.. I can think of one though.. There was a consistent forum poster from Portugal who had a 2011 850 touring international model that he drove as his daily ride on public roads.. He had the machine on regular car tires and spent a lot of time at high speeds using his atv the same as a car or motor cycle.. I think he was known as a guy who took good care of his machine but his motor blew up on him without warning as well..
To the op.. For the sake of diagnosis, do you ride a lot at higher speeds?.. I'm not suggesting its bad if you do. I only ask because 2400 miles on a 2012 is quite a bit compared to most.. I wonder if these things just aren't designed to run at high speeds??..

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Wonder what the percentage is...........riders with issues vs riders without?
I would venture a guess that the percentage of riders with this issue is a microscopic percentage in relation to the number of these machines being sold. I would also be willing to bet that the percentage would be comparable to any other atv being sold today. Happens with cars and trucks as well.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
OP, did you have an extended warranty?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i use this atv mostly for farm use almost all road miles i do drive fast but i had 8 bikes before drove them all the same and never had a problem when the head of a valve breaks off its not operater error its poor quality material in the engine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no extended warranty i usually trade every 2 years but i guess not this year and if i do trade and because they werent willing to help out with repairs it probably wont be another polaris

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Riding at high speeds should not matter, nit amy different than plowing in low, or working the atv.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I agree Will, but that is two guys that have had this problem now and both spend a lot of time at high speeds. So shouldnt matter, but with the small sampling we have, it appears to matter.

Sean

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I agree Will, but that is two guys that have had this problem now and both spend a lot of time at high speeds. So shouldnt matter, but with the small sampling we have, it appears to matter.

Sean
Maybe this is an issue with the 850 engine? A lit of my riding is high speed, not an issue. Lots of people in my area road ride as it is legal here, all different brands too. Bosjno had an outlander 400 before buying his Polaris, not an issue with that either.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
This is the first 12' I have heard with issues like this.

There have been numerous 2011's that have sent rods out the side of the case. There is even a local guy right now that has an ad up looking for an engine for his 2011 850.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts