Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our family big bore shoot out, 2008 Yamaha 700 grizzly stock (New Maxis Big Horn 2's), My brothers 2014 can am 1000XT-P (his wife made him buy it she liked the color) stock and my 2013 850HO EPS, 27" grim Reapers, QSC clutch kit, Ricochet skids and a arms. Here's how they stacked up after a weekend in Maine. Grizzly- Bullet proof reliability (went through the ice spent the night in 14' of water) feels light and nimble good power the women like it. Can-Am, Stupid fast in 2 wheel drive keeping the front wheels on the ground is a chore. The ride is firm (need more time with the fox shocks tuning), firm seat. the foot wells are short for size 14 shoes, the clutch at slow speeds is way to jumpy, steering at slow speed is a little to firm. Above 40 mph this bike starts to come into it's own. My Ho, suspension is a bit soft for a 320 lb rider, The steering on tight trails and slow going is good above 40 mph it's to light. the clutch with Ryan's kit is a dream, power is good and predictable. In conclusion all 3 are great machines, the XT-P is a great high speed trial and dirt road screamer but lacks good slow speed manners. The 850 rides great and is a good at tight trails and technical ridding bike. In the drag race the 1000 and the 850 are dead even up to about 50 mph
then the 1000 pulls away, at 70 mph it has about 3 machine lead. You can't go wrong with any one of them just depends on what your looking for and how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Wait, I wanna hear about the Griz in 14' of water ?!? How? Did it start after? How did you get it out?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Boy's in Maine have ice recovery down to a science, Go out in a boat, lean out over the bow, have the others pull the boat back over the ice while you hold the chain saw, cut the ice back to thick ice. all the time pushing the chuncks under the surronding ice. droped a hook and a bunch of guys just picked it out of the water. Pull the spark plug and crank it to blow out the top end.Drain the front and rear diffs,add new fluids. Change the engine oil(fill with cheap stuff) run for a short period, change again, keep doing this till the oil has no water in it ( 3 times) then put in good oil. Drain the CVT,new air filters, good to go! the only thig that failed was the EPS the early models had vent tubes which filled up with water and lunched it, 09 and above are not vented so that would not have failed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Pretty early to be on ice.

At 320 lbs you need some heavier springs. I am 250 and the 850 is firm enough

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Put the stock clutch back on the Polaris, and try again. Not really fair to compare them.

Does the visco lok engage fast? I love the Polaris AWD system.

Do they bill the ATV owner for the recovery?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I test drove the the 1000 XT and it was a beast but it felt like you were riding a uni-mog, very big. Seat of pants on the 850 was more fun and nimble which is why I bought it. Gave up some power and refinement but I am happy so far.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Visco lock hooks up quick but you can't be in 2wd (good for wheelies and sliding the rear) and just slide it into 4wd (like you can on the polaris) you must come to a full stop then switch. Not a big problem unless you like sliding the rear.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
nice article, i too weigh 250 and the 850 is just right for me and a clutch kit and 250 i can run with the 1000 can am we are side by side until the top end i can crawl away but i have the stock tires and he has the bigger ones I run the Dalton clutch Kit but just waiting for some cash to get the kit form ryan to try toi see the difference but as far as the bottom end a guy has to play a little with the primary spring to get what you want on the bottom

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right now I have the small shim which gives a 1800rpm engagement, I could add another shim and come up to 2000 rpm and see what that does.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
what is it you don't like on the bottom end, what is it doing

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
The Visco lock hooks up quick but you can't be in 2wd (good for wheelies and sliding the rear) and just slide it into 4wd (like you can on the polaris) you must come to a full stop then switch. Not a big problem unless you like sliding the rear.
Thank you. I sat on a new Outty 500 at the ATV show, and really liked the looks of it. Maybe next time.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Don't think I will ever be a fan of the Crisco lock. Riding with two Can Ams last weekend showed it's weakness. Both were Outlanders, one an '06 800, the other a '11 800 XT P. With three tires on the snow, and the right front tire wedged up against a rock, neither one could get the right front to power up and hook up to get over the rock. Just sat there spinning three tires. After seeing that, I had to position my XP in the exact same spot to give it a try. I was able to crawl up and over the rock. Not bragging or bashing, just comparing the two different systems.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
never had a problem with my outty 1000 locking all 4 wheels up. does it almost instantly and seemless......

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
I have no doubt it is a great system for most riding. It just isn't as good for rock crawling is all I was pointing out. There are some CA riders that will admit this, and then there are those in denial. There is plenty of video out there to back this point. The Polaris system isn't perfect either, and I have found it's weakness as well, but for the majority of the riding I do, it works best for me.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Yeah 2-3-4wd sucks for sure.

By the time the 4wd kicks in you are either dug right down, or high centered. I have seem alot of outty vids on youtube where only 1 front wheel ever locks in.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The older (pre 2012 I think?) Visco lock took a bit longer to engage than the newer ones. The newer ones engage real quick. That being said, we ride with a 2012 outy 650 and 2012 outy 800 and there have been several times where both machines (on rough, rocky, black trails) get wedged up against a rock and cannot get over it as easily as others (brute and grizzly). Some of it is clutching also..the stock canam clutching seems awful soft. I like the polaris awd system the best of the systems out there. Set it and forget it...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey BoBx2, Did the Elka stage 1 make a difference worth $1200 or would a set of springs from someone else work??

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Hey BoBx2, Did the Elka stage 1 make a difference worth $1200 or would a set of springs from someone else work??
Don't know anything about any other springs, but I do know the Elka's ride incredibly nice. Extremely pleased with them.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
Don't know anything about any other springs, but I do know the Elka's ride incredibly nice. Extremely pleased with them.
I have the Stage 1s on my Outlander also. Like Bobx2 said they are a great upgrade compared to stock. Best thing I did to my bike.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The older (pre 2012 I think?) Visco lock took a bit longer to engage than the newer ones. The newer ones engage real quick. That being said, we ride with a 2012 outy 650 and 2012 outy 800 and there have been several times where both machines (on rough, rocky, black trails) get wedged up against a rock and cannot get over it as easily as others (brute and grizzly). Some of it is clutching also..the stock canam clutching seems awful soft. I like the polaris awd system the best of the systems out there. Set it and forget it...
A Bit????

When I had the 800XT it took way too long to engage in my opinion, by the time the visco-lock was fully engaged I was already in deep trouble. The newer system is MUCH more efficient though.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts